How to stop a clown from hosting a hammer coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

solidsnakejv

Aquarium Advice Activist
Do anyone have any idea how i can stop my false percula clown from trying to host my Hammer coral? It started to damaged it after i put in on the same about a week ago, so i moved it back to midlevel, and now it's trying to host it there as well, and it really starting to cause some damage.

I dont think you can without removing one or the other. Unless you introduce something it likes more. Clowns are crazy. They will host sand. Mine host gsp.

It's hard, more so when the coral is small. It's not uncommon for a clown to kill a coral it has decided to host. I got my clown to host a silicone anemone. It really liked it too. Way to funny...
img_1073297_0_19e05ca02e2ce7157bac84243328912d.jpg

Here's the same fish with my featherduster...The duster was not to happy. lol
img_1073310_0_f3c5989fa78597bca18f7d63b623d224.jpg

Mine loves my hammer. I just let it stay there. No harm no foul. As far as yours I dont know if you`ll be able to keep it out.

100_1013.JPG

I tell you, Mike must be from Texas everything in his tank is "Large". lol

I went out and got a fake yellow bubble tip anemone to see if he'll get attached to that, but the fish is actually afraid of it since it won't come near it. Instead, i put it next to the hammer to see if it will scare off the clown and it worked for a few hours and then he went back to trying to host it. i don't mine it, but one part of the hammer looks like is getting damaged since it came off the rock already.
The LFS suggest a real bubble tip anemone. They said they are not hard to keep, but i don't know if they actually are.

I don't know. I have never had one and there is a chance that the clown won't host it.

Thanks everyone. Solidsnakejv when you say he is damaging the hammer what is it exactly doing? How is he damaging it?

BTA's aren't hard to keep if you have the right lights and a big enough tank, but as TC says, there's no guarantee it will host it. It's more than likely to not since it's already hosting the Hammer, but even with no Hammer it might not. Mine doesn't host anything including the BTA.

the one part of the coral that it really rushes against is detaching from the rock. the polyps are not filling up like the rest, they are very tiny and they look like they have been popped.

I heard that one of Mikes clowns went missing for about a month before he found it hosting in that hammer.....lol

Back
Top Bottom