How to stop fish from jumping into the rear compartments of Coralife Biocube 29

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John12

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Last week, I lost a clownfish because it jumped into rear the compartment 3 of my Coralife Biocube 29. Until this happened, I had no idea that this was possible. I checked online to see if anyone else had had a similar problem and how to fix it. I discovered that many people with this type of aquarium had the same problem but that no one had given a solution. I thought about it for a while and came up with a solution that is very easy to do, very inexpensive, and 100% effective.

First of all, the back wall of the tank; that is, the wall that separates the main tank from the filtration compartments is 18" long.

Here is what you need before you begin:

1. A box cutter knife with a sharp blade. I think everyone has one of these. If you don't, you can probably get one for $2 or $3 at your local home improvement store.

2. A piece of plywood, Masonite, or scrap lumber at least 20" in length and 4" in width. You can also use a thick layer of newspaper. This is to protect your flooring and the point of your knife blade when you do the cutting.

3. A pencil or fine tip pen that can write on vinyl.

4. An 18" or longer ruler. It is best if you use a 3' metal ruler because you can also use it as the straight edge that you will also need. Most of us guys have one of these.

5. A metal straight edge at least 18" in length. If you don't have one, you might was well buy a 3' metal ruler because I'm sure you will need one again someday.

6. A vinyl sign measuring at least 18" on one side. I purchased an 18"x24" white vinyl "For Sale By Owner" sign from Home Depot for about $3.

7. A small tube of clear silicone. I got a small tube of GE Silicone II from Home Depot for a few bucks.

Procedure:

You probably have at least one powerhead and maybe a heater inside the main tank, which means that you have at least one power cord draped over the back wall and exiting the tank over compartment 1, 3, or both. If you don't have any of these in your tank, you just need a single 18" strip of the vinyl to cover your opening. If you have wire(s) exiting out of only one side of the tank, you will need a long strip and a short strip, and if you have wires exiting on both sides, you will a long strip and 2 short strips.

1. Using the pen or pencil and your ruler, mark off exactly 7/16" from the end of your vinyl sign on any side that is at least 18" long with tick marks on the left and right edges. If your sign is 18" on one side, cut it from that side.

2. Place the vinyl on the board or newspaper and, using the metal straight edge and the knife, cut off the 7/16" strip. Do not try to cut through the vinyl in one pass; do it in 3 or more passes.

3. Lift the tank top.

4. The strip sections you need.

a. If you don't have any wires exiting the main tank, you only need one 18" strip. If your strip is longer than 18", cut it down to 18".

b. If you have wires exiting the tank from one side only, measure the space between the end of the back wall and where the nearest wire to that wall is and cut that much off your 18" strip, then cut down what is remaining from the long strip so that it will fit between the other end of the back wall and the nearest wire to that wall.

c. If you have wires exiting the tank from both sides, cut small sections from the strip to fit between the end of the rear wall on each side and the wire closest to that side, then trim down what is left of the large vinyl strip to fit in the space between the wires on the left and right sides.

5. Apply a thin bead of silicone the ENTIRE length of the back wall where each section of your vinyl strip will be placed.

6. Press each strip in place, making sure that you use your finger to align the back edge of the vinyl with the back edge of the back wall.

7. Let the silicone cure for at least an hour before you close the cover.

If you applied a solid 18" wide strip or a short and long strip, you can modify this later on, if you purchase another piece of equipment to place on the other side of the tank, by just cutting out an opening from the long strip for that wire to fit through.

I have a powerhead and a heater on the left side of my tank, so I have a 1.5" section of vinyl, followed by a 1.5" space for the wires, and then a 15" piece of vinyl. It is now impossible for my little fish to commit suicide.

I'm going to attempt to attach a photo of my finished product. I don't know if that will work because it just says "Add Video" below this.

Thanks for posting this. Hopefully it will save a fish in the future from a similar demise.
If you are posting from the mobile app, there are controls at the bottom of the editor that allow you to add pictures from the device's library or directly from the camera (if available):
Mevl8g9h.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom