how to tell a mantis from a pistol?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
well I dont know that I have either..but at night sometimes I hear this little "popping" sound coming from the tank....so does anyone know how to tell the difference?

Check to see if it is a snail or a crabs shell clicking against the glass ...
As for telling I am not sure if it is multi pops suggests mantis , or single ..our pistols IME do single pops ....

well its multiple...over and over..but it only happends at night when the lights are off.... and if it IS a mantis...how do I get rid of it?

its really hard, no technique is really good, best scenario, you try every night with a net for months and catch him

if it is a mantis and you know what rock it is comming from you could do a fresh water dip to get him to shoot out. Or place rock into a container feed when he comes out remove him ... There are folks that will pay for a mantis if that is what you have ... so dont kill him .. Also IME my pistols popped more at night time ... But that is my experience it may not be the same for all out there

Back
Top Bottom