How to tell if its playing or intimidation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aphone

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, My tetra keeps on chasing(but not touching) my gold molly periodically.

What is going on? I'm not sure

Thanks

10 gallon

2 mollies
Tetra
Zebra danio
Underwater frog
Khuli loach

Yes just one of each except 2 mollies

That probably you problem then. The three species I asked about are all schooling fish. In small numbers, they are likely to act out (in the case of the tetra and danio) or hide (with the Kuhli). Tetras acting aggressive is pretty common when they're put into small tanks or are stocked in low numbers, both of which apply in your case.

Should I add more fish? Getting a bigger tank is not realistic now

Unfortunately you've stocked yourself into a pickle. Mollies are, debatably, too large for a 10g when fully grown, and danios and kuhlis, even if fully stocked, aren't suitable for a 10g. Some species of tetra are appropriate, but without knowing what species you have, I can only say that most tetras probably aren't well suited to your tank.

Unfortunately you've stocked yourself into a pickle. Mollies are, debatably, too large for a 10g when fully grown, and danios and kuhlis, even if fully stocked, aren't suitable for a 10g. Some species of tetra are appropriate, but without knowing what species you have, I can only say that most tetras probably aren't well suited to your tank.

+1 yep. 10 gallons for mollies danios and most tetra is way too small. Tetra and danios should be in groups but adding more fish isnt the solution. Id think about try to swap some of the fish at the lfs you bought them from.

Think taking e painted tetra out and keeping it in a bowl I'd a good idea? I know that fish need filters to thrive, but maybe it's better this way. Anyway, I tried doing this but the tetra kept on dodging the net. I couldn't catchit. Guess I'll try again

Back
Top Bottom