How to tell the Sex?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velksfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would like to find out what sex my fish are, not for bredding or anything just for self knowledge, but I am not sure what I am looking for.
Here is a list of my stock::fish2:
Angelfish
Dwarf Gourami---I believe he is a male.... :blink:
Mickey Mouse Platy
Sunburst Platy....I think she may be female :blink:
Ballon Belly Molly
Dalmation Molly
Zebra Danios
Ablino Cory
Spotted Rubber Lip Pleco

Any info I can get on how to tell the sex would be great. I think I may know a couple but would like to know how to tell forsure.....Thanks in Advance

I would like to find out what sex my fish are, not for bredding or anything just for self knowledge, but I am not sure what I am looking for.
Here is a list of my stock::fish2:
Angelfish
Dwarf Gourami---I believe he is a male.... :blink:
Mickey Mouse Platy
Sunburst Platy....I think she may be female :blink:
Ballon Belly Molly
Dalmation Molly
Zebra Danios
Ablino Cory
Spotted Rubber Lip Pleco

Any info I can get on how to tell the sex would be great. I think I may know a couple but would like to know how to tell forsure.....Thanks in Advance

Dwarf gourami- if it's colourful and not a dull silver colour, it's a male
Mickey mouse platy and mollies- the Fin on the underbelly of the fish should be fanned out if it's a female, a males should be pointed, like a sword.
Zebra danios- males would be slender; females will appear rounder and fatter if mature and when viewed from above.
Albino Cories- see above ^

OK its actually pretty easy to tell your platys and mollies. The fins on the underside of the stomach look like almost a perfect triangle on a female on a male they are a bit thinner, longer and kind of wavy. Plus with females they will almost always have a "gravid spot". That's a darkening in the stomach right above those fins (babies). With danios as they mature the males will stay slim and streamlined and females will become much heavier and take on a raised back and large stomachs. For your pleco as it grows if its a male it will develop bristles. Females apparently can too but only males will actually start growing them up their face( in between eyes) and around their mouths. I have heard females can develop small ones around their mouths. It takes a while before the bristles begin growing BTW.

Back
Top Bottom