How to 'tie down' Java Fern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Augusta

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In SC across the the savannah river from Augusta G
My new 60g tank is mid way through a fishless cycle attempt--ammonia dropping, nitrites rising. Yesterday I purchased 3 little Java Ferns. On a web site it says they will attach and grow on almost anything. It suggested tieing them to a rock or piece of wood, but didn't provide many specifics. I was hoping someone could tell me how to do this--what to tie them with and any other useful information. Perhaps there is already a thread on this in the archives?

Thanks,
Doug

There have been a few threads about this ... but tying regular cotton thread will work fine. By the time it disintegrates, the roots will haven taken hold. Either on a rock or DW is fine.

Rest a small bead on the rooted area to wqeigh it down and keep in place, then remove the bead when the roots take.

I bought those little plant weights and just gently - and loosely - wrapped it around the base of the plant. I've had it like that for four or five months now, and its working really well. The plant is thriving and shooting off new sprouts.

Someone else suggested using fishing line to keep it anchored. Its thin and clear so you wont notice it.

I've heard superglue is a great method as it dries very fast and doesn't harm the fish or the plant

I tied mine with some brown sewing thread to a piece of driftwood and it works great, and it blends so it doesn't interfere with the aesthetics of it. I definitely suggest tying it outside of the water though to save yourself a lot of frustration ;)

I used a regular twist tie like on bread bags. Leave it a little and when you put it in the water you can move it around the way you want. then pinch it snug when you got it in the right spot you wanted. Worked for me with no problem

Superglue looks best! Cotton thread and ties are too noticeable for my display tanks

I saw a demonstration by the leading aquarium decorator in Japan and he put the moss on a rock, took a piece of the plastic netting like you find in the grocery store that hold onions and the like. He placed the netting over the moss and pick and brought the ends around to the back side of the rock. He then tightened it over the moss with a small rubber band. Making sure not to get it too tight. He said when the moss grows out you will never know the netting was ever there.
Gypsy

This was by the #1 aquarium guy in Japan so I'm guessing the answer is yes.

I use zip ties, either black or white depending on what I'm attaching the plant on. They are much easier to work with than limp thread or fishing line for my fat fingers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom