How to turn my Rotala red?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matts Tanks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have a 55 gallon tank with a Coralife T5 HO quad fixture, with a Co2 system! I bought a few bunches on Rotala Rotundifolia at my LFS about a year ago and it has grown quite large and spread. But it has turned from a beautiful Reddish Orange, to totally green. I've been dosing 5ml of Iron once a week, but that hasn't really been helping, so just wasn't sure what you would do to fix that problem!! I would really appreciate the help!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm not an expert by any stretch but I have a similar plant. From what I can tell it requires a good bit of strong light to keep the red or in my case pink leaves. I don't know much about the light you have on your tank, I custom built LED lighting for both of my tanks.

I'm not an expert by any stretch but I have a similar plant. From what I can tell it requires a good bit of strong light to keep the red or in my case pink leaves. I don't know much about the light you have on your tank, I custom built LED lighting for both of my tanks.

+1. Pretty intense light will help with the red coloration. I have Rotala colorata and Rotala roundifolia and only the stems near the surface become pinkish peach. This is under a Finnex Planted+.
Rotala macrandra is reddish pink to start with in case you are looking for red plants.

The very top of the plant is red but that's it

Back
Top Bottom