How to "upgrade" to a bigger tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bghouse

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'd like to start a new bigger tank, as I only have a 6g Eclipse system. I'm thinking of going to a 20g tank. What is the best way to do this and migrate over my existing fish? I have one neon blue dwarf gourami, one bamboo shrimp and a gold-banded pleco.

Is there a way to somehow use the biofilter to help cycle the new tank? Should I use any of the existing water? Should I do a complete fishless cycle on the new tank before transferring my babies?

you could use your current 6 gal set up to "seed" the new tank...I.E. : filter, gravel and water. I would move all three things to the new tank with the fish..the one thing you want to becarful of is that you should only double the water volume of your six gal tank. This would essentially be the equivlant of doing a 50% water change. (which is the max you should do at any given time) So you would end up with 12 gals in your new tank. then wait two weeks and add the balance of the water and any more gravel to the tank. During this time keep a close watch on water parameters..they should be just fine but just in case..

Rocket2001, that sounds like an awsome idea, but if I were doing it, my concern would be having only 12 gal in a 20 gal tank... That would be pretty shallow, Im sure enough for the fish, but what about the filter?? If its a HOB (which for 6 gal is most likely) it wouldnt be long enough to reach the water, even if it is, I dont think the motor would have enough power to suck the water up that far. If I were doing this, I would set the tank up like normal, and just use the gourami to cycle it. With that kind of upgrade, you'll likely need a new filter. Just use some of the substrate from your other tank to help seed. If your current setup allows get the new filter and run it on your 6 gal for a week or so. HTH

I'd do a variation on the above. I'd take everything from the small tank and use it in the bigger tank, including the water, but I would fill the new tank normally. It is not the water that will help cycle the tank, but keeping the same water that the fish is used to, at least in part, helps the transition for the fish. If you can use the filter media (you can cut it off the plastic frame) in your new filter that will help a great deal, since you can't run the actual Eclipse filter on the new tank. Assuming your tap water is not drastically different from what is currently in the Eclipse you should have no problems, but of course you'll need to test your water frequently and do not add fish for several weeks, if not a month, to give the biofilter a chance to get established.

If I was doing it, however, I'd fishless cycle because I'd already have plans for what will go in the 6gal! :wink:

I have a 6 gallon eclipse too and I can tell you it's not a HOB. It's built right into the hood. Has your 6 gallon been cycled? Because if it's not, all you would be doing is jumpstarting your cycling and then your back to square one with your 6 gallon.

If you really want to transfer everything over then I would recommend that you just float your filter cartridge from your 6 gallon into your new tank, fill your new tank with some new gravel and then add your old gravel to the top, along with any decor you have. And get an adequate filtration system for your 20 gallon.

But like TG stated, I personally would leave your 6 gallon alone and just do a fishless on your 20 gallon.

Ladies,
All three of you are absolutly right, I didn't read carefully.."Eclipse"
i use a canister and i would just adjust the intake and spray bar to the water height.
My suggestion was just a way to make the transition quickly without having to go throught the whole cycling..with 12 gals in a 20 gal it would be about half full (or half empty, depending on what type of person you are) and waiting another week to top it off shouldn't stress the fish.
As we all know the traditional way would be to set up the tank and wait 6 weeks or so and then add fish
(I still think my idea would work under regular circumstances, I going to do it when I upgrade my 29 to a 55)

Rocket2001- But it's so hard to wait! I'm an impatient sort trapped in a hobby that requires oodles of patience - it would be hard for me to wait with a low water level, that's all. Your logic is perfectly sound - :D

Fawn- what kind of filter do you need a spray bar for? My Eheims and Filstars come with spray bars, but I any spray bar would work with any canister, I'd imagine, so you might try the barter/trade or classifies forums here and see if there is anyone willing to sell their unused spray bar (my filters came with powerheads and spray bars, I just chose to use the spray bars - guess I need to sell off my power head returns!)

Tankgirl-I am very impatient too (aren't we all), thats why I don't want to wait for the cycle and just fill the tank in two weeks instead of 6. I currently run a Fluval 303 and an Aquaclear 70 on my 29 gal because I want to use the Aquaclear to seed my next tank whenever I get it and set it up. And thanks for the stamp of approval..it means alot from you.

FawnN- my Fluval 303 came with the spray bar but I have seen replacement ones at small LFS (not the chains), I'd check online from the manufacturer's websites for replacement parts.

By the way Bghouse- does any of this help you with your original question?

Tank Girl & Rocket: I have a H.O.T. Magnum Compact Hang-On Tank Filter by Marineland. I checked their site, but they don't sell it on the site. :cry:

Back
Top Bottom