how to use seashells in garden

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you want to put seashells in your garden or are you wanting to take seashells from the garden and use them in an aquarium?

What do you want the seashells to do? Just look pretty or are you wanting to use them as a calcium carbonate source?

Do you want to put seashells in your garden or are you wanting to take seashells from the garden and use them in an aquarium?

What do you want the seashells to do? Just look pretty or are you wanting to use them as a calcium carbonate source?

yes in an aquaruim

As long as whatever creature that lived in the shell has been dead a while, a good rinse should be all you need to do, and a few extra water changes the first couple of weeks after putting them in your tank wont hurt.

Seashells are calcium carbonate. If your water is acidic they will slowly dissolve in your tank. This will increase pH, general hardness (GH) and carbonate hardness (KH). This may or may not be an issue depending on what fish you have. If your water is only slightly acidic and you arent putting lots of shells in, it wont make a huge difference. If you where to crush up the shells they will dissolve much quicker and have a bigger impact on your water chemistry.

I have seashells in all my tanks. They've all come from beaches over the years. Some spent time in the garden before being reappropriated to the aquariums. I give them a good scrub in plain tap water, no soap, and use an old toothbrush to scrub as far inside as possible. So far, 10+ years, no problems.

Back
Top Bottom