How to vacuum sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

connorilles14

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone explain to me techniques to vacuuming sand, I want to use sand in my current project but I'm unsure how to clean it and how it will effect my filter and such

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would turn your filter off, then lightly rake it around, then let sediment settle and then hover an inch or so above to just suck up the gunk. Then turn ur filter back on!! ;)

That's how I was planning on doing it, but im sure other folks may have other recommendations. (y)

With sand the debris will just sit on the surface. If you just hover your gravel vac a little above the sand you should be able to suck it right up. If you have enough flow near the substrate it might just end up in your filter and you won't even need to vacuum it up.

I find sand to be vastly less time consuming to clean.

If you do need to do a bit of a deeper clean, hold the siphon in your one hand, and the hose coming from it in your other hand. When you see the sand bubbling up too high in the siphon, pinch that hose to reduce the flow, and the sand will drop down again.

As said just pass lightly over it try to avoid stirring the sand as it easily gets sucked up and in no time you wont have sand anymore ;)

55 Gallon- Empty
125 Gallon- CKF and Tiger Oscar
220 Gallon- To come...

Back
Top Bottom