How will an air stone help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ndw

Aquarium Advice Activist
Other than adding more oxygen to the tank is there anything else an air stone and pump does to the tank. My filter on my 5.5g tank doesn't seem to penetrate the water very much although my fish seems to be ok id still like to know if I'd be better off getting an air pump and stone

They aren't necessary by any means, but absolutely won't hurt anything.

They do a fairly good job of cycling the water from the bottom of the tank and moving it towards the top so that might be worthwhile to look at for you.

What kind of filter do you have?

It's a fluval chi tank and filter (if you've ever heard of it). It's a Cube style that sits just above the water. And trickles like a waterfall.

They aren't necessary by any means, but absolutely won't hurt anything.

They do a fairly good job of cycling the water from the bottom of the tank and moving it towards the top so that might be worthwhile to look at for you.

What kind of filter do you have?

Agree with Mebbid. It's mainly just decor or to diffuse leftover co2 in planted tanks. It can be used to produce extra surface agitation.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

If you get a sponge filter, an air pump and air stone becomes another filter- great for emergencies where you need to set up another tank immediately. I run a sponge filter on almost all of my tanks.

If you get a sponge filter, an air pump and air stone becomes another filter- great for emergencies where you need to set up another tank immediately. I run a sponge filter on almost all of my tanks.

Hey sinibotia, I got issues with a brand new sponge filter I bought. (First time user of them).

And I threw some benefitial bacteria in the tank with the sponge filter hooked up and all the bacteria eventually just settled on the ground. It's not being sucked into the spong filter at all. No water flow at all.

Maybe you can tell if I'm doing something wrong in the pic.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1430112713865.jpg
    1430112713865.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 90
Keep in mind that all of the water that is being carried up through the central tube of the filter is being drawn through the entire surface area of the sponge. That means that even with a strong air pump, the current going into the sponge filter will be quite weak- too weak to suck up most things. It's primarily a mode of biological filtration. I would squeeze the bacteria directly into the sponge and then put it back into the tank.

Back
Top Bottom