How you cycle poll...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How do you cycle?

• Fishless using ammonia?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • With a product like bio-spira or another product?

• With fish?

• Fishless with a raw shrimp?

• Fishless with nothing added to the tank?

• With fish using a product like bio-spira?

• Other?

• Total voters

debomb4u

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm just wondering about how everyone does there cycle and how they they're going to next time...
Please post why you did it that way or why your going to next time.

Prior to joining AA, I cycled using a fish and some product. When I finish setting up my 75gal, I will go fishless with a raw shrimp. Boy I've learned a ton here in less than a month.

The way I've set up my past 3 or 4 tanks is to use the new tank's filter on one of my old tanks for a couple weeks, then set everything up and move the new filter over to the new tank, then add fish within a couple hours so the bacteria on my new filter doesn't die. This has worked out perfectly for me every time. It's not an instant cycle, but it's close- the last time I did this I set up a 55 gallon tank at work and it had completely cycled in 3 days. Ammonia went up to .25 on the second day, then down to 0 and nitrates were 5ppm on day 3. Never detected any nitrite. :? The tank's been doing great ever since. :mrgreen:

I just completed a cycle using established media from my other tank. However, my first tank was cycled using fish (I didn't even know I was cycling).

If I had to cycle a tank without established media...fishless would be the way.

I always cycle with fish. I have successfully cycled with Tetras, Corys, Angles, Rams, Apistos on various occasions. All without a loss.

The Rams and Apistos even spawned during the most recent cycle. I can't see how any undue stress is placed on a sensitive fish (Ram) if it spawns during a cycle. The key was water changed and patience.

Besides, I have not found a source of suitable ammonia, and I am not putting seafood in my tank to rot as a source, the potential for harmful organisms growing outweighs the potential benefits in my mind.

It is a personal choice and people need to do things the way it works for them. This works for me.

I used fish and suffered serious losses. It stunk! I was dumb and couldnt be patient and I feel really bad that I did it that way. thanks to this website no more fish deaths for me! :lol: Next time will definitly be established media and maybe biospira.

Well, many of you know my low bioload approach, using so few fish over many weeks that the effect is the same as fishless, no ammonia or nitrite spikes for the fish to live through.

How about you ammonia cyclers adding some nitrite to the tank with the ammonia, thereby feeding both sets of bacteria right from the start? It should cut down on the cycle time.

I used Sea Chem Stability for a week with no fish, then added up to capacity over the next two weeks. Of the 30 or so fish in my tank, I had only one frog die, and he looked bad at the fish store but he was the last one they had. Anyone that does not use a product to cycle a new tank is either really old school or just has not tried it yet.

My first and only cycle (wasn't really aware of the process at the time) I put in a bunch of plants (because I knew the plants would use up the fish waste) & waited for them to get a bit of new growth and then put in just a few fish to start with. I wasn't monitoring my chemistry but I suspect it was close what TomK2 does. I never have gotten my bioload up to where it could be & I like it that way.

I would do it the same way again but probably seed a new filter with established media if possible.

Tony Starks said:
Anyone that does not use a product to cycle a new tank is either really old school or just has not tried it yet.

I tried a product and it did nothing noticable. And some stuff we can't get here in Australia...or if it is availeable I haven't found it. LOL Sometimes old school is cool too. :)

Does PetSmart or Petco ship to Aus? They both sell products like that, and the effect is noticable in the fact that you don't have dead fish. Some people are waiting months for their tanks to cycle when in a week they could introduce most of the bacteria they want in there. Even better, you are indroducing the best bacteria strains for fish, so they get established first in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom