How's it look to you ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unclebob

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wanted to know if my coral looked healthy? They haven't been growing any just looking the same every day. The pics are below, I know the GSP is suppose to spread, but I'm not sure about growth pattern of torch coral. Thanks for opinions.

Attachments

• image-3409452739.jpg
    image-3409452739.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 200
  • image-2501780867.jpg
    image-2501780867.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 211
Both look decently healthy. The gsp looks like it is spreading some too. The other looks ok, but there isnt much extension. What lights are you using? Also, it might not be a torch. Could i get a closer pic?

Unclebob said:
Just wanted to know if my coral looked healthy? They haven't been growing any just looking the same every day. The pics are below, I know the GSP is suppose to spread, but I'm not sure about growth pattern of torch coral. Thanks for opinions.

GSP looks good, as Gboy said there isn't much extension on the torch, how long have you had them?

Do you us RO/DI water and what kind of lighting are they under?

It is actually frogspawn, my bad. And here is a pic of my crappy light source. And I bought a new power head to increase flow, it seems to help

Attachments

• image-1414331209.jpg
    image-1414331209.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 162
  • image-66679300.jpg
    image-66679300.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 158
  • image-438891389.jpg
    image-438891389.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 165
  • image-471143747.jpg
    image-471143747.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 169
You have a seemingly complicated issue with a simple solution. I see this with a lot of LPS owners. You simply lack the wattage, but more importantly, you lack the blue spectrum. Flow can be minimal and the animal will still be happy.

My frogspawn rarely came out until I added more blue... I since have started using an ATI blue + t5ho to supplement my LEDs and what a difrence. Check it out.

Attachments

• image-2539915239.jpg
    image-2539915239.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 154
Readingexcalibur said:
You have a seemingly complicated issue with a simple solution. I see this with a lot of LPS owners. You simply lack the wattage, but more importantly, you lack the blue spectrum. Flow can be minimal and the animal will still be happy.

My frogspawn rarely came out until I added more blue... I since have started using an ATI blue + t5ho to supplement my LEDs and what a difrence. Check it out.

+1 many lps are found deep where blue is the most depth penetrating spectrum.

Readingexcalibur said:

All I can say is wow

Unclebob said:
It is actually frogspawn, my bad. And here is a pic of my crappy light source. And I bought a new power head to increase flow, it seems to help

What kind of light is that? And how many watts?

Here is a link to the product, I'm unsure about light source, all I know is that it is an led. The guy at my local fish store said it would be adequate for soft coral. But it's my first tank and I'm learning as I go.

Attachments

• image-460954566.jpg
    image-460954566.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 95
They are looking better today ! And I'm sure they would look a lot better with a better light source. Guess ill have to continue to save and get one soon.

Attachments

• image-2257742615.jpg
    image-2257742615.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 99
Do you have that coral under the tetra tank stock lighting? If you do, you are seriously mistaken about what it takes to keep coral. These LEDs are not the right temperature (kelvin rating) 10k-20k, or not nearly strong enough (they are .06w, not 2-3w) and I don't even want to get into describing PAR ratings.

I'd hate to say it, but your LFS let you down. Plus realize that spawns are a LPS and not a soft coral.

A half way decent LED fixture proper for keeping LPS like this spawn should start around $200. Please re-advise your setup and more importantly, research into saltwater lighting.

Another case of lfs letdown. Maybe you have someone that can hold them till you get a better light? Or better yet I would make the pet store refund me my money if they sold you that as a package deal. It happens to everybody don't feel bad. I started with 1 tiger barb 1 gbr and 2 ember tetras in a....wait for it...3 gallon...

Back
Top Bottom