How's this for tap water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leafyseadragon

Aquarium Advice Freak
I used tap water to fill up my tank the first time, and I got a major algae bloom. Started using RO, and the algae problem subsided.

I found a copy of the city's water report. So I would like to know: is my tap water sufficient for a FOWLR tank? I wouldn't mind having an RO system as a new toy :lol: , but if I don't really need it, I won't buy one.

NO3 avg 15 ppm range 0-29 ppm

Tot Alk (CaCO3) avg 109 ppm range 70-178 ppm

Ph avg 8 range 7.3-8.3

There were other categories, but they didn't seem relevant for fish.

Nitrate is a little high for my liking. Your gonna see the same kind of algae problems on a FOWLR as you did on your first tank unless you under light it.

RO units really arnt to bad. U can easily get a decent one for $150 or less.

WOW!! A five stage unit that puts out 85gpd for only 98$...thats an insane deal, you probably saved 4-5 hundred dollars!

how can you tell if your ro unit has a di filter? i have a 5 stage ro but am not sure if the last stage is di or not.

I kinda like going to the local Wal-mart and just buying jugs from their filtered water? I know I have seen some people do this, is it ok for a FOWLR tank? :hat:

I just have a freshwater tank, but maybe I can be helpful. Walmart near me sells ro water for 33 cents a gallon. It gets run through a bunch of tests and a UV light, and the little chart says it has 6 TDS (total dissolved solids). Not sure if that's a good reading, but I use it with a little ro right in my black water tank, and it works fine.

Back
Top Bottom