HPballer76's 24g Aquapod

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HPballer76 said:
added the live rock back into the tank today. that is 20lbs. i think i am going to add about 10 more lbs of base rock.

Looks great and the coraline looks nice too.

so im kind of confused about the cycle with this tank?

i threw in 2 raw shrimp on the 2/24

on 2/25 i had 2ppm of ammo 0 trites didn't test for trates.

today 2/28 i was bored so i tested again. .25 ppm ammo 0 trites 0 trates.

the cycle is getting close! dosed to 4ppm ammonia after 24 hours ammonia is 0 nitrites are 5 ppm and nitrates are 40 ppm.

now do i dose back up to 4 ppm ammonia and wait till ammonia and nitrites are gone in 24 hours or do i just wait for the nitrites to get to zero do a big water change and add my first fish? someone please comment not sure what i should do now.

HPballer76 said:
the cycle is getting close! dosed to 4ppm ammonia after 24 hours ammonia is 0 nitrites are 5 ppm and nitrates are 40 ppm.

now do i dose back up to 4 ppm ammonia and wait till ammonia and nitrites are gone in 24 hours or do i just wait for the nitrites to get to zero do a big water change and add my first fish? someone please comment not sure what i should do now.

Dose it back up.

cycle complete!

dosed to 4 ppm ammo

24 hours later

0 ammo
0 nitrites
40 nitrates
ph was 7.9 should i worry about that or as long as it stays consistent let it be?

so water change then fish!

Yes sir! You are cycled. Just remember to add fish slow to let the BB keep up with the new bioload! Well done!

well since i have to do some traveling soon i decided i would add a couple chromis to make sure the tank stayed cycled until i decide on final stocking. i also put in 5 red leg hermits and 3 astraea snails. do you guys think that will be ok as far as the hermits and snails go? i don't want them to starve and can move them to my 72 if there won't be enough food in the 24.

HPballer76 said:
well since i have to do some traveling soon i decided i would add a couple chromis to make sure the tank stayed cycled until i decide on final stocking. i also put in 5 red leg hermits and 3 astraea snails. do you guys think that will be ok as far as the hermits and snails go? i don't want them to starve and can move them to my 72 if there won't be enough food in the 24.

I think that's good. You want to add them slowly so as the sand matures they get more food. :)

received my order from intank today.

img_1860837_0_f073cf004dea9845e66af040f695f199.jpg

media rack

replacement fan

filter floss

purigen

chemi-pure elite

put all of that in the media rack then put it in the tank. only thing i don't like is that some water still slips by the sides of the rack. hopefully enough goes through.

img_1860837_1_4eea9fc4ef479aec7070eefaa08ec033.jpg

so since a lot of water was getting by the media rack i decided to cut a little extra filter floss and shove it in where the water was getting by. i think this has most of the water going into the basket and if not at least it goes through the floss now.

img_1861125_0_b14646c9bf858da4311c77cb448c1c7a.jpg

and a fts.

img_1861125_1_64b1cbdc8f1da3a90078e6aab7b12267.jpg

Looking good. :) I have the same issue with my media rack, a tiny bit of water doesnt go right into the filter floss compartment.

thanks carey! i think the little bit of floss i stuck in the edges helped a lot with the water getting by the rack. i am picking up a 34g rimless cube tomorrow which i think is going to replace this tank in a couple months after i have time to make a stand and do a few other things to it.

Oh nice! A new build thread then ! lol

I've been eying a 14g nano and a 24 one on CL for almost a week now. I'm ready to pull the plug and get one. This fish tank stuff is soo addictive.

Back
Top Bottom