Huge driftwood for my tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
have you thought about how to sink it? I lost a gold fish by adding a piece of drift wood I found in the woods. It was really soft, not really good quality, I think it was washed onto shore by heavy rains, anyways something got out.

No I haven't done anything with it yet I don't know what to do because it is to big to fit in the oven or dishwasher.?? Any ideas

And I found it outside at a creek.

Last edited by a moderator:
No I haven't done anything with it yet I don't know what to do because it is to big to fit in the oven or dishwasher.?? Any ideas
I have heard of those who poured gallons of boiling water onto it, but I suggest talking to people who are a bit more experienced in the matter.

Do you have a bath tub? Weigh it down with some bricks and poor hot water over it daily. You can also bake it in the sun on the roof of your house to kill any nasties but it won't get water logged that way ;)

Do you have a bath tub? Weigh it down with some bricks and poor hot water over it daily. You can also bake it in the sun on the roof of your house to kill any nasties but it won't get water logged that way ;)

See? What did I tell ya? I knew someone more experienced would chime in!

I will ask a question for him: should he use dechlorinated water to boil, or just tap water? Or do you just let it dry afterwards?

Normal tap waters fine. The amount of chlorine wont be enough to cause any damage. If you let it dry it won't be water logged anymore defeating the whole process.

It's now soaking in a tub. About how long do you think it will take?

U could use a large plastic storage tote too. That way u can use ur shower. Weigh it down and just let it soak. I would get a bigger tank to put it in, lol. Also, GO BUCKS!

What do you mean by you would get a bigger tank to put it in ? And what does leech tannins or whatever mean?

Roberts48 said:
What do you mean by you would get a bigger tank to put it in ? And what does leech tannins or whatever mean?

Leaching tannins means that when you submerge the wood in your tank the natural organic matter in the wood will leave your water almost tea stained. It will gradually clear over time with your regular partial water changes but can take some time. It is totally harmless to your fish and some people like the way it looks. Colour and amount of tannins vary from piece to piece.

Back
Top Bottom