Hurricane Frances

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clowninround

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I faired charley pretty well, didn't lose a thing, however my neighbor, just down the road was out of power few like 4 or 5 days longer and lost some of her corals due to the heat. I think she said her tank got up to 86. So my question is this, what can I do to keep the temp down should that be a problem. Is it safe to put ice in zip lock bags in the main tank? Where I am, it's sopposed to be directly on top of us (orlando area) at some point, so I know power is going to be out, just don't know how long.

I would think at the point 4 or 5 days out ice will be a hard comodity to come by.

86F is on the fringe of what we would consiter acceptable temperatures. I myself keep my tank at 82F regularly. What affects our corals and fish more is a fluxuation in temperatures. If you wrap your tank in blankets you will keep more heat in so the tank will lose heat slower. Battery powered airpumps will aid in keeping the water moveing and keeping things oxygenated.

I bought a power inverter at Target that connects to a car battery or cigarette lighter. I can do up to 400 watts so I could continue to run my PH's in case of an outtage. You can fill as many plastic bottles of water that you can fit in your freezer (while its working) and use them before they melt. A small battery powered fan running across the top of the tank may help cool also. Lets hope it stays out at sea, I got hit by Isabel last September but I was lucky to only be out for 36 hrs. I used my UPS to run a filter sporadically every couple of hours. A stressful time indeed. Good Luck.

Heh orlando I wish I was in orlando! Im in southern Brevard where the storm is supposed to make land fall at most 10 miles from my house, and we live right on the indian river(intracoastal) so were right off the ocean. Were planing on leaving to go down south hopefully it wont go down there. I have a very lightly stocked 55 with only a few fish and easy low light corals in it(shrooms and zoos) Im not really worried about my tank because there are things that are way more important then any fish tank!

Yeah, you have a point there whaoo_drew. Yeah I got a power inverter too, it ran my wet dry last time :wink: . Infact someone on this site mentioned it to before charely hit, and if your watching this post THANK YOU! I got a battery powered air pump too. Hopefully I can keep my family AND my fishies safe :D .

Yes, ice was hard to come by last time, but we made sure to fill our tank before and took a hour and half drive to melborne where nothing happened, got our ice there (and a bigger cooler). I have 10 7lb bags right now and I plan to go to tampa afterward. Lets hope that plan works :D

look at recent forecasts its supposed to be turning north. I'm in St. Augustine so I don't want it up here either. It looks like it might go up and turn, type water vapor in at yahoo and you'll find a the water vapor radar map. It shows how its pulling it north east. I just hope it turns away and goes up. Either that or go hit cuba.

heres the site just choose the stuff. I recommend 8 slides, if you look close at about 6 you can see it move up a little bit. Also you cans see it pulling the top of it. http://weather.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/goeseastconuswv.html

Back
Top Bottom