Hurricane irene: wat do i do if power goes out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GhillieSniper115

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I'm in the direct path of Irene and will get power outages and water shortages so how should I prepare my 10gal and 2.5 gal ? Both have filters and heaters and my 2.5 has 30 or less offspring and my main tank has 10 fish. Any help?

I'd worry about yourself and family first... just sayin...

But, as to your tanks. I'll almost bet getting anything batter operated or any sort of generator is out of the question, I understand many of the big box stores have sold most of their stock in that area. I doubt heating will be an issue, since it's probably going to be mid 70's or so? Your filtration will be the big thing IMO. I've seen predictions that power may be out for days/weeks. If so, the best thing you can do IMO is churn the water some to keep some surface agitation going here and there. A battery powered air pump or small generator to run the filter (and some other essential items for personal use) would be ideal.

I'm hoping power isn't out for days. I don't have a generator and I doubt I'm finding a battery operated air-pump ... will try a petland discount as my last resort. So I figure the only thing I can do is agitate the water and put the biomax rings in a media bag and put it in the tank so the BB has oxygen and ammo.

As mfdrookie516 said ... temps really not an issue with forecasted 70's weather on Monday onward.

jcolon said:
I'm hoping power isn't out for days. I don't have a generator and I doubt I'm finding a battery operated air-pump ... will try a petland discount as my last resort. So I figure the only thing I can do is agitate the water and put the biomax rings in a media bag and put it in the tank so the BB has oxygen and ammo.

As mfdrookie516 said ... temps really not an issue with forecasted 70's weather on Monday onward.

Kk thanx for ur suport

eco23 said:
$12 at Walmart. I bought 2 of them a few days ago and they work great (we lost power for 10 hrs yesterday so I had a practice run with em).
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Frabill-Portable-Aerator/16494427

We used those when we moved from Florida to louisiana... Had three fish and they survived the entire drive even stayed over night in Alabama. They work in a pinch!!

mfdrookie516 said:
I'd worry about yourself and family first... just sayin...

But, as to your tanks. I'll almost bet getting anything batter operated or any sort of generator is out of the question, I understand many of the big box stores have sold most of their stock in that area. I doubt heating will be an issue, since it's probably going to be mid 70's or so? Your filtration will be the big thing IMO. I've seen predictions that power may be out for days/weeks. If so, the best thing you can do IMO is churn the water some to keep some surface agitation going here and there. A battery powered air pump or small generator to run the filter (and some other essential items for personal use) would be ideal.

Kk we will b fine in a hurricane warning lol but I Actualy had the 10 gal as a balanced tank for 5 months and it worked prety well but it's the 2.5 I'm worried about cas of tha babys and idk if I can do water changes but I can suck out the poo w a saringe attached to a small air tube which I have been using and works quite well I'd recommend it

$12 at Walmart. I bought 2 of them a few days ago and they work great (we lost power for 10 hrs yesterday so I had a practice run with em).
Walmart.com: Frabill Portable Aerator: Fishing & Marine

DARN! I checked availability and my local walmart doesn't have it in stock:facepalm: Thanks anyway eco23(y)!

Now ... question / advice ... has anyone ever tried dosing Hydrogen Peroxide H202 in tanks for Oxygen? I ran across this link below ... is this legit? Scientifically it seems sound ... I would feel better if someone's had actual experience and success with this method. I've invested too much emotionally on those fish to take having them suffer oxygen deprivation.:nono:

Hydrogen peroxide - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki

jcolon said:
DARN! I checked availability and my local walmart doesn't have it in stock:facepalm: Thanks anyway eco23(y)!

Now ... question / advice ... has anyone ever tried dosing Hydrogen Peroxide H202 in tanks for Oxygen? I ran across this link below ... is this legit? Scientifically it seems sound ... I would feel better if someone's had actual experience and success with this method. I've invested too much emotionally on those fish to take having them suffer oxygen deprivation.:nono:

Hydrogen peroxide - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki

I wouldnt use peroxide cas it might kill all good bacteria and destroy the mucus around the body of the fish

jcolon said:

Also NEVER TRUST WIKI OR ANYTHING THAT CAN B EDITED

Back
Top Bottom