hybrid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T-man02

Aquarium Advice Freak
hello all i have some how gotten a hybrid it is starting to dominate my tank i don't want it anymore but i don't simply want to kill it. any ideas ?

i don't now of anyone who would take a hybrid. trust me i haven't just thought of death.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol no worries. There are some people who have a tank(s) just overstocked with every colour cichlid, not caring really what's in it, as long as it's full.

What type of fish is it? Got a pic? Hybrid what? Describe your tank and fish.

HN1 said:
What type of fish is it? Got a pic? Hybrid what? Describe your tank and fish.

It's a Malawi tank I think it has some Kenya on it but I'm not sure. This is from my phone so my apologies

ForumRunner_20120219_182823.jpg

ForumRunner_20120219_182859.jpg

Some hybrids are pretty common, especially those that are found in the 'mixed african' tank, so I don't think you'd have that much trouble rehoming one. I'd try posting it on craigslist and calling area LFS to see if someone will take it.

Koikid88 said:
lol no worries. There are some people who have a tank(s) just overstocked with every colour cichlid, not caring really what's in it, as long as it's full.

I thank you that you care enough for our hobby to say some thing

...it is starting to dominate my tank...ideas ?

Zebra's have potential to be domineering fish. Reiterating what HN1 asked, what size is the tank and species and quantity-wise, what's in it?

You could always re-home this cichlid, however due to mbuna nature one of the others in the tank will just assume the role as alpha fish.

Tank domination can be countered using various techiques (assuming adequate tank size): lots of rockscaping (to break lines of sight, provide territories and hiding spots), an adequate quantity of mbuna's (not necessarily overstocked but definately not understocked), proper gender ratio's, introduction of rivals, etc.

Are there any female cobalt zebra's in the tank? If not you may need to add some (3-4 of them).

They are in my grow out 29 g tank he is in with a red zebra a yellow lab and a Kenyi all I think are male. except maybe the lab. I'm getting a bigger tank at the end of march if I don't get one I will be becoming the fish the biggest is 4 inches smallest 2inches the cobalt is about 3 inches. So its probably just a male issue

Back
Top Bottom