Hybrids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cFolks24

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I just got a new addition to the tank! An electric yellow lab.. I checked to see, and I think she's a girl! However, being about 1 inch 1/2 it's kinda hard to tell.
One of her tank mates is a red zebra. Almost 2 inches, and when I checked, I think he's a boy.
SO... I know there's a big debate on "cross-bred" cichlids. However, I love the way the yellow lab/red zebra mix looks. (Bright yellow with reddish tint on it's sides..)
My question is, if they are boy/girl, will they mate on their own?
Is there anything I need to do to make sure they do mate?
...So on and so forth!
They are the only fish of their species in the tank.
Thanks!

I'm interested in this as well. I love electric yellow labs they are beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I know there's a big debate on "cross-bred" cichlids. !

If you are not going to give them away, sell them etc., That's the big debate.... At one point all the fish at the lakes did what many fear and why we have such a massive of wonderful African Cichilds. I'm unsure if both of yours are known for their tendency to cross-hybridize.

If you are not going to give them away, sell them etc., That's the big debate.... At one point all the fish at the lakes did what many fear and why we have such a massive of wonderful African Cichilds. I'm unsure if both of yours are known for their tendency to cross-hybridize.

That's what I'm saying.. I love the randomization that could occur. Kinda cool! People seem to think that crossbred fish are like dogs (mutts).. Which is dumb..
What I really want to do is have a peacock tank and watch them cross breed like they would in the wild

Mbuna's can be difficult to sex. Some females have egg spots some don't. That lab looks like it does so your girl might not be a girl. As for hybrids it depends on the fish. Just because you have a male and female doesn't mean they will breed.

I have a Gourashi and Rusty who have seemed to pair off but she keeps swallowing the eggs so no successful fry from them.

That's what I'm saying.. I love the randomization that could occur. Kinda cool! People seem to think that crossbred fish are like dogs (mutts).. Which is dumb..
What I really want to do is have a peacock tank and watch them cross breed like they would in the wild

I hate to break it to you but it's actually fairly uncommon for cichlids to cross breed in the wild . There are certain species and/or locational variants that are in very specific parts on the lake, river, creek, cenote, ect. So it's not like there's every species of Peacocks in the same bay of the 11,400 square mile lake.

Also for serious cichlid keepers hybrids are mutts.

I hate to break it to you but it's actually fairly uncommon for cichlids to cross breed in the wild . There are certain species and/or locational variants that are in very specific parts on the lake, river, creek, cenote, ect. So it's not like there's every species of Peacocks in the same bay of the 11,400 square mile lake.

Also for serious cichlid keepers hybrids are mutts.

Can a serious cichlid keeper not enjoy and appreciate a variety of unique and colorful cichlids? Whether they are crossbred or not.. And I'm sure the fish don't swim around looking for a pure bred of the same species lol.
If you like the animal enough, I don't think it really matters if it's a hybrid or not. If it's pretty, healthy and attractive, I would like to keep it.

Mbuna's can be difficult to sex. Some females have egg spots some don't. That lab looks like it does so your girl might not be a girl. As for hybrids it depends on the fish. Just because you have a male and female doesn't mean they will breed.

I have a Gourashi and Rusty who have seemed to pair off but she keeps swallowing the eggs so no successful fry from them.

Yeah, I knew they were (especially at a young age). I tried venting but I've never really had to do that before! So I'll just have to wait and see.

Can a serious cichlid keeper not enjoy and appreciate a variety of unique and colorful cichlids? Whether they are crossbred or not.. And I'm sure the fish don't swim around looking for a pure bred of the same species lol.
If you like the animal enough, I don't think it really matters if it's a hybrid or not. If it's pretty, healthy and attractive, I would like to keep it.

In the wild it really don't happen.

Myself I keep species only tanks and I go so far as to keep locational variants of even the same species separate. To answer your question, yes I enjoy "a variety of unique and colorful cichlids" all of which are pure strains with collection data. There is no place in my fish room for hybrids even if I like the look of the fish.

You seem to not understand this, the groups of fish in a specific area typically have very different body shape, color, as well as being different species and are able to tell the different species apart. Thus they only breed with the same species. There are times when species of the same genus are introduced into an area where they are not naturally occurring such as the case with certain Herichthys species in Mexico and hybridization can occur.

Alright.. Maybe I'm just getting OB peacocks (which I know aren't naturally occurring) confused with just any type of cichlid. I still don't agree they are mutts though!

If I'm not mistaken there are naturally occurring OB in labidochromis fuelleborni but yes not in the peacocks.

Whether you agree or not the literal definition of mutt/cur is a mixed breed of an undesirable nature. Normally that term is applied to dogs but in this instance that's how many feel about hybrid cichlids. There will always be great debate on both sides of the fence.

But in the end what it really comes down to is if Aquarist want to maintain species long term in the aquarium trade for conservation purposes it's very important to keep those strains and locational variants free of hybridization.

The bigger issue is that it damages the integrity of the hobby in a huge way. A lot of cichlid keepers are also conservation-minded, so keeping the fish also has a lot to do with keeping particular strains/species alive and thriving in aquaria. Throwing hybrid fish into the mix just confuses everything, especially when those hybrids are crossed back to one of their original species. The end result can be huge numbers of fish who have genetically lost (or added) some key traits that made their particular species unique.

That's a big sacrifice made for those that want to throw things together for the sake of something potentially cool looking to come out of it.

I think that's one of the main reasons it isn't promoted by most of the cichlid clubs and biologists in the field.

Not just that but it's going to hurt us all as hobbyists when we end up having to pay big $$ to get pure strains of common fish. And it'd also put even more pressure on wild harvesting to get pure strains, as if there wasn't already enough.

The bigger issue is that it damages the integrity of the hobby in a huge way. A lot of cichlid keepers are also conservation-minded, so keeping the fish also has a lot to do with keeping particular strains/species alive and thriving in aquaria. Throwing hybrid fish into the mix just confuses everything, especially when those hybrids are crossed back to one of their original species. The end result can be huge numbers of fish who have genetically lost (or added) some key traits that made their particular species unique.

That's a big sacrifice made for those that want to throw things together for the sake of something potentially cool looking to come out of it.

I think that's one of the main reasons it isn't promoted by most of the cichlid clubs and biologists in the field.

Not just that but it's going to hurt us all as hobbyists when we end up having to pay big $$ to get pure strains of common fish. And it'd also put even more pressure on wild harvesting to get pure strains, as if there wasn't already enough.

Very well put, thank you.

I get where yall are coming from. I can see how, as an aquarist, we try to make things as real as they can be (by means of habitat, pure strains, etc.).. I just thought it was natural for them to cross breed.. However, it is kinda cool to see a hybrid fish (peacock I guess)..pretty unique.. Anyways thanks for enlightening me Lol.
I guess in my tank tho.. If they get it on, it's just gonna have to happen :/

cFolks24,

Bud, as long as you are not going to be selling, giving them away it's fine. It's for your enjoyment, then so be it. The problem is...if you are going to be selling them or giving them away.

Letajockey- Maylandia estherae OB

re-grilling-whole-fish-608.jpg

Back
Top Bottom