Hydrilla in an aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerBarbs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Has anyone ever gone to a lake and picked some hydrilla and put it in a tank? I love how it looks and want some.

It's a very common aquarium plant, sold as anacharis (hydrilla and elodea both). There's nothing wrong with pulling it out of the wild, since it's so abundant and often considered a noxious weed... as long as your local laws don't prohibit it, and you're not disturbing the ecosystem in doing so.

I never thought it looks like anacharis until u said that but thats really what it is

Oops just found out the plants i saw were coontail which is hornwort right

It will if you leave it in there long enough. 30 seconds to a minute is plenty... should take care of any parasites and/or algae that come in with it.

I think that's how I got planaria in my tank, now that I think about it, it showed up after I put wild pennywort in my tank. I removed it because it wasn't doing well anyway, but I did not sterilize it first, I just let it sit in a bucket of water on the back porch for a few days. Ugh I feel stupid now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom