hydrogen sulfide?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aremihc

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've seen this crop up a few times in posts about problems, and was just wondering how to deal with/test for it. I plan to do a planted tank with sand substrate, so I gather this is a possible risk for me. Can someone let me know how to avoid it and wath for it, thanks.

Stir the sand on a regular basis with a chop stick or something similar. Trumpet snails (MTS) will stir the sand for you looking for food. If you are planted heavily enough the plants roots will keep things clean for you.

Stir the sand on a regular basis with a chop stick or something similar. Trumpet snails (MTS) will stir the sand for you looking for food. If you are planted heavily enough the plants roots will keep things clean for you.

Thanks, trumpet snails wouldn't like my Zebra Loaches I doubt, but the loaches would love the snails ;)

MTS hide much better than most snails. You may get some survivors hanging on even in a loach tank, if you get them established first.

if you get them established first.
A key point. I tried to introduce MTS into my 55 and my loaches made short work of them. Between replanting plants and the occasional gravel vac I haven't had problems with H2S, although I do not have sand substrate.

Back
Top Bottom