Hydroid, Zoa, Anenome???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sqrle

Aquarium Advice Activist
I noticed these 2 little guys about 2 weeks ago and was wondering what they are. They are soooo small. The biggest one is about 3/4 the size of a pencil eraser. They move around on their own I noticed. i was moving some rock around a bit and left them in a part with little light. The next day they were moved into better light. I saw one today snap shut like it caught something to eat, and yes, it does have a "mouth" The "tentacles" are almost a purple colour with green tips.

Attachments

• SDC10769.jpg
    SDC10769.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 91
  • SDC10775.jpg
    SDC10775.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 93
IMO it looks like a monjano (sp.?) anemone. they can sting corals. they are good to remove. there are different methods, and i dont have a link but they involve injecting a combo of liquids into it.

If that is all they are, maybe I will let them grow out and see what happens and keep a close eye and make sure that they don't get too close to the coral. If they have a bad attituted, i have a nice pair of tweezers waiting for them. They doesn''t move much, just when I moved the rock. But I guess they could when they got bigger and needed more foothold

tweasers is a bad idea. that would probably only make the problem worse. they are definately not consittered reef safe at all. i would get rid of it asap

p.s. the first pic has 2 small yellow circles indicating the location of the 2 little dudes. In the 2nd one if you look up and left 45 degrees you will see the smaller fo the 2

darn it all, but they are soo cute. hmmm, time to reasearch I did a bit of looking around in the last couple of minutes since your post and I am pretty sure that they are majano's. CRAP

Back
Top Bottom