I almost gassed my fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crepe

Aquarium Advice Addict
Wow. I didn't even think it was possible. I have 3L of diy yeast (haven't gotten a chance to get the new cylinder hydrotested/filled) and I woke up this morning to gasping fish! I just moved the spraybar above the water and dosed 10ml of H2O2 to bring up oxygen levels. I hope everyone makes it.

I lost one white cloud...Oh well hopefully nothing else kicks the bucket. They are still breathing too fast but no more hanging listlessly at the surface.

Oh I have a funky diffusion method. I have an Aquaclear10 powerhead with the CO2 feeding into the intake. On the outlet I have some funky irrigation part, which is basically an L-bend that directs the bubbles downward. I position the L-bend slightly at an angle so that the bubbles rise into the outlet of the canister filter. So basically the tiny mist I produce (finer than the mist out of a ceramic diffuser mind you) is shot down then floats back up only to be pushed down and across the whole of the tank. It gets the job done lol.

I think the overdose happened when I topped off the tank too high so that there was 0 surface agitation.

My mix is 1/4tsp of red star yeast, 2 cups of sugar, 2l of water and 5ml of pH up.

Tank volume of 20g.

Wow that's pretty scary. I'm getting ready to start doing diy co2 and I'll definitely keep that in mind about the agitation.

Back
Top Bottom