I am about to drop-kick my tank out the window

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kindafishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, not really. But MAN am I sick of looking at this brown algae crap. Even worse, I am sick of getting conflicting information on how to deal with it.

Some say it's because I don't have enough light, others say too much. Need CO2, don't need CO2, too much fertilizers, not enough. Argh. Or, they say, it is because I am feeding too much. Which I am not, of course. I have even 'trained' the little buggers (the fish, that is, not the algae) to catch a single grain of food in their mouth before it hits the floor. Nothing hits the floor. They catch it, or they don't eat, and they know it. There is no extra rotting food anywhere. I do a couple of 25-50% (depending on my mood) pwc's every week. Sometimes more. I vacuum and pwc like a crazy lady on a mission. My filter is great (Eheim canister), my tank was properly cycled, my parameters are all fine. And my tank is not overstocked: I have two tiny (yet comical) apistogrammas in 64 liters. I am at my wits end. This has been going on for about a month now.

This crap is pretty much confined to my plants. It is not too bad on the low light plants (java fern and anubias). It is worse on the med light stuff like ludwigia cardinalis and hygrophila siamensis.

So question : what if I were to throw out everything but the java ferns and the anubias (whereby I will either nuke them or light them on fire and do a dance of joy as the algae bursts into flames), and replace those plants with new java ferns and anubias ? Could the problem be that I am trying to grow medium light plants in low lights? Weird, because my hygrophila are growing like weeds.

And now I am not even sure it is diatoms. On the hydrophila the 'diatoms' seem to have tiny little hairs. Some of the brown stuff wipes off like dust, but some of it seems to really stick.

Talk me down off the roof.

I don't know what size tank you have but diatoms normally disappear on their own after a couple of months. Oto cats will eat them if you have a tank that is suitable for them. they are probably the best little algae eater there is.

BillD said:
I don't know what size tank you have but diatoms normally disappear on their own after a couple of months. Oto cats will eat them if you have a tank that is suitable for them. they are probably the best little algae eater there is.

What do you mean by "suitable enough"? Established?

Really really don't want to add otos or any other fish. My male apisto is a big meanie. I don't want carnage.

He means big enough also, how big is it? Have u tried nerite snails?

64 liters (17 gallons). Don't want more fish, and snails creep me out (sorry)

If you do drop kick the tank, post a video of it :)

Otherwise, I agree... they'll go away in time. You might also have some BBA, hair algae, or some other form of 'hairy' algae, but that's not related.

mfdrookie516 said:

Otherwise, I agree... they'll go away in time. You might also have some BBA, hair algae, or some other form of 'hairy' algae, but that's not related.

Haha we'd all like to see that!

But yeah it will go away, I'd say get a Nerite snail, but you don't like snails.

Ha ha, will do. If not a drop kick, I will at least hang it by a noose from my window and take a large baseball bat to it, somewhat like a pinata. (Not that I've given any real thought to this or anything). Video would be a given with any such scenario, obviously.

I don't think it is BBA, looks like none of the reference pictures of that stuff that I have seen. If it is some sort of hairy algae, it is very sparse and wispy.

Have you tried reducing the hours with the light on? If you don't want to set up a CO2, you can just use Flourish Excel, or either Cidex or Metricide if you want to save a few dollars.

Talk me down off the roof.

If you do decide to jump, be sure to wear something really billowy, like that white dress Marilyn Monroe wore in The Seven Year Itch. It'll catch the wind beautifully on your descent, perhaps even enough to allow you to land on your stiletto heels.... (y)

Looks like you're getting plenty of help on the diatom thing. I'm just going to hang around because your posts are so humorous! :D

How about picture or a link to a picture? It could be something other than diatoms, dinoflagellate blooms will opten be similar in appearance to diatom blooms, but are typically more stringy. I hear about them more often in SW tanks, then in FW, but it might be a possibility. FWIW, the issues that cause dinoflagellates are different than those that cause diatoms.

Also as an aside, diatom occurence can also be helped by increasing flow.

If you do decide to jump, be sure to wear something really billowy, like that white dress Marilyn Monroe wore in The Seven Year Itch. It'll catch the wind beautifully on your descent, perhaps even enough to allow you to land on your stiletto heels.... (y)

Looks like you're getting plenty of help on the diatom thing. I'm just going to hang around because your posts are so humorous! :D

oh man! now I have to go clothes shopping too??? I knew this hobby was going to be expensive! :D

How about picture or a link to a picture? It could be something other than diatoms, dinoflagellate blooms will opten be similar in appearance to diatom blooms, but are typically more stringy. I hear about them more often in SW tanks, then in FW, but it might be a possibility. FWIW, the issues that cause dinoflagellates are different than those that cause diatoms.

Also as an aside, diatom occurence can also be helped by increasing flow.

Been away a few days, but when I get back home I'll try and post some pictures. Unless, of course by some miracle this crap has disappeared in my absence. Meanwhile I am going to get to googling the word 'dinoflagellates'....

:flowers:

Oh, your post gave me a good laugh.

I'd be ripping up some plants right now if I were you.

I am back from a few days away and it seems that the diatoms at least have subsided somewhat. I might be imagining / wishful thinking however.

I made two changes before I left that may have helped matters. First, I got rid of my DIY CO2 system. A) Because it was annoying me and B) because it was starting to grow this white fungus on the diffuser (I suspect that some yeast particles were escaping). I replaced this with dosing Easylife Carbo just for kicks. Methinks it might just be helping. I am going to monitor that and see if I need to add another CO2 system.

BUT. I still have the stupid hairy algae on one of my plants. Only one. So, looking at this plant a big old lightbulb went off in my head : I think that MAYBE this particular plant was mis-labeled at the store and might actually not be totally aquatic. It is supposed to be a hygro, but for some reason it just looks a bit different than the others.

So...Mr. Planty and his fake planty siblings are all going to go to plant heaven today. This is a fine excuse to go to try out a new LFS for some low light plants.

NOW FOR THE NEW AND BIGGER PROBLEM :

Seriously, I can't find my fish. I examined my tank for an hour upon my return from Paris and they were NOWHERE. Mr. Kindafishy says he saw them yesterday morning, doing fine. Last night, they were gone.

I can't figure it out. I don't have any hungry kitty cats, apistos don't jump, my fish don't have their driver's license (yet). No one was floating on the surface, no one stuck anywhere -- I am stumped.

The only unusual thing is that the the door was barricaded on Twinkie's (girl fish) prized 1/2 coconut house with a mountain of sand. Do apistogrammas dig holes and make doors like that? Could she and Ding Dong (boy fish) both be in there doing unspeakable things? Or perhaps they are on strike : "Get rid of the dang algae or weren't not coming out!"

So afraid to peek at my tank this a.m. I really don't want any nasty surprises....

Lol I've never laughed so much at a thread lol. Hope you sort your algae problem and find your fish :)

Lol I've never laughed so much at a thread lol. Hope you sort your algae problem and find your fish :)

You may be laughing, but my plants are not. I just removed two of them and (for dramatic effect) literally pitched them right out the second floor window. I am off to buy some new plants this afternoon.

(I love a good excuse to HAVE TO go to the LFS, really I do!!)

And I am happy to be report that Twinkie and Ding Dong have been found! So relieved, they were demanding breakfast at the front of the tank when I took a peak this morning. Yay!!! :D

Well, of course, they were famished! Doing "unspeakable things" makes you hungry!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom