I am finally getting my plants to grow!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spencer1044

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey I just wanted to post how my tank is Doing at the moment. I have a 29 gal tank with two 30 gal filters (one is only being used for bio). It has DIY Co2 system connected to a 2.5 gallon filter as a diffuser. I have 2 paradise gouramies, 2 Cory cats, 3 neon tetra, 1 black mollie, 3 hybrid black/Dalmatian mollies. And 1 long-fin serpe tetra (gonna get 2 more). It contains java fern, narrow-leaf rotalla, amazon sword, long hair grass, penny wort, bronze wendtii, green wendtii, and a banana plant. Some of the plants are new and currently in the melting stage. I have been struggling with growing plants in this tank for around 2 years. When about a month ago I dirtted the tank. Before I was getting around -1 inch of growth per week. Now im getting 2 to 3 in of growth per week. I've been so happy with the tank recently. What do you think? I want to get one more school of fish. I like more colorful fish. What do you think I should get? And my birthday is coming up this June. Turning 15! Any I ideas for gifts like maybe desktop tanks or tank and stand that could fit in a 22 in wide space. Please post link. Now here's my tank.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401236892.568409.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401236919.774981.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401236937.458431.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401236964.100847.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401236982.055226.jpg

Your corys and tetras are below their recommended schooling numbers.

Plants look really nice though. Good job ?

The blue gravel is not for me though. Ruins a natural look.

I agree, you should get more of the fish you currently have. You mentioned that you "want to get one more school of fish", but you do not currently have a school of anything in your tank. I'm not sure what kind of corydoras you have in your tank, but corydoras do best in larger groups. I would say 4 as a Minimum, 5-6 would be better though. As for the tetras... Both neons and serpae tetras should be kept in groups of no less than 5 each.

IF you stocked to just the minimum recommended number for each species your stock would look like this:
1 Black Molly
3 Dalmatian Mollies
2 Paradise Gouramis
4 Corydoras (if you have pygmies you could fit more)
5 Neon Tetras
5 Serpae Tetras

If you decided to up your numbers of your current fish, they will be MUCH happier and in return you will have a well-stocked tank (I wouldn't add more after that) with plenty of activity and color. I believe this to be the best route, but in the end it is your tank and you will do what you want.

Congrats on the plant growth btw :D Just planted mine 2 days ago.

Ok thanks for the help. I plan on upgrading tetras to five and giving my cories to my little bro which would make a school of 5 cories. But now I need bottom level activity i was thinking some type of loach.

The cories should provide enough bottom level activity. I believe the same group rule applies to loaches such as Khuli loaches.

The cories should provide enough bottom level activity. I believe the same group rule applies to loaches such as Khuli loaches.

Yes the same group applies to the loaches. At least 5 are recommended. With your tank size, I would suggest either Khuli or Yoyo loaches

It's too bad your getting rid of your cories, they are so entertaining to watch. I love my Julii's

Edit: Yoyo's may nip the mollies.

Well im not getting rid of them just moving them to a different tank

I would say i have medium light plus i use Co2, dirt, ferts, and root tabs

I agree. Now does anyone know of any bottom feeders that stay relatively small?

Back
Top Bottom