I am planning to have a planted tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltwaterbeginners

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys my name is Sam and I am planning to have a planted tank for my 50 gallon tank. I don't have any led light. Can you guys please help with me with lighthing? If you know what led light I should get, please reply for me. And what do I need for my tank?
Sorry for my wrong grammars.

In order to know what type of light an equipment you need, we need to know what types of plants your gonna grow.
Low, med, high light? Or if you know an exact name just say it. :)

Well LED's are just lights. Plants will grow under most lights unless the light is too dim or something like that. Two LED light fixtures that are good for med-high light are the Finnex Ray2 and the Finnex Planted+. The Ray2 is brighter than the Planted+. Star grass is medium light.

If you are willing to spend more money, two of each fixture or both fixtures on the 50g would more in the middle/high end of high light. The only bad thing about having high light is that you need to be prepared for algae. And lots of it. The best ways to get rid of it is dosing glut (excel, metricide14,etc), pressurized co2 system, or uv sterilizer (only for floating algae). Nualgi is also a solution but I have never tried it before.
Remember for high light, you MUST run the light only 6 hours a day so that algae will not get out of hand.

Actually, I Want to change my mind to have med light plants. I think I am gonna plant some places but not a lot. I also want to plant duck weeds.

Oh ok. Duckweed is prob one of the easiest plants to grow. I have some if you wanna pay shipping. For low light, two LED fixtures can be Marineland Double bright or Marineland single bright. Both are low light. Btw, duckweed is a floating plant. You dont sink it to the bottom of the tank.

The Current USA Satellite LED/LED+ are both great fixtures too. The LED one is low-med light. The LED+ is med light and also comes with many, many light colors. You can make your own light color that suits your plants the best.

Those lights look to be in the blue end of the light spectrum. Not very useful for plants in a freshwater aquarium.
Is that your light from a saltwater tank?

Those lights look to be in the blue end of the light spectrum. Not very useful for plants in a freshwater aquarium.
Is that your light from a saltwater tank?

+1 Looks too blue for any plants to grow well in. You need a light that's between 3000-8000K. Those look actinic.

But if your gonna get plants that go IMO the substrate, the blue lobster will rip all the plants to shreds. Floating plants are ok (duckweed is floating).

I have two 25w CFL bulbs. It came with a hood and it was one of those cheap hoods. If you can afford to buy a light that is not blue, they will grow even better. I take a few tablespoons out every other day or so and it all grows back. They are really hardy.

Back
Top Bottom