I am thinking of setting up a new tank need advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zarganth

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am thinking of getting a Peacock eel.

From my understanding they eat shrimp blood worms, crayfish and of course plants/fish smaller then it, they prefer to dig and hide in sand only coming out during nights.

I am thinking of setting up a 40 gallon or so tank, for said eel, with at least a 4+ inch bed of sand, drift wood/things they can hide in.

I am thinking i would set up the tank in advance and wait a few months before putting eel in, just to add things like plants and a live food source.

I am having a hard time figuring out what kind of life food source would be best.

I am thinking of maybe having fresh water shrimp in the tank they breed mildly fast in a 40 gallon tank and enough algae/plant life I think they would thrive quite well.

Though I do plan on adding some possible other fish to the mix which would likely feed on said shrimp.

Another thing I want to keep the tank a suited toward what a Peacock eels in its native area of Asia though I am not quite sure what kinds of plants/shrimp they would natural eat in the wild, a quick google search and I don't really find much information, wiki just states diet and what not. I don't want to end up putting a live plant or shrimp species that may harm the eel

I am ok with non native plants/shrimp but I don't know which ones are harmful or non harmful to its diet. I don't want the eel to have a pure worm based diet want it to have a range of living matter choices.

:pS this is my first post here. just want some advise before I go and get said tank started, nice to help some advise on new things.

Would guppy work by any chance for live food?

Back
Top Bottom