I boiled my driftwood...DRY, now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enrgizerbunny

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was boiling my piece of driftwood tonight, and I went off to watch a movie with my fiancee, casually forgetting about the driftwood simmering on the stove. It was at a boil, but not a very hard boil. After watching Turbo, I get up and realize the stove is still on, pot empty, and the bottom of my wood has a small ember. Besides the pan being destroyed, how does this affect my wood? I've been soaking it in a bucket for 2 weeks, and the water goes mostly clear now, so I am boiling to get the rest of the tannins. It is a nonstick pot if that is relevant.

LOL You might be able to grate some into a nice spaghetti sauce like flaked oregano now. I can relate to it because I did the same thing with mine. MIne wasn't a non stick pan though. It shouldn't hurt a thing. Did any of the non stick stuff melt onto the DW? Even if it did, you should be able to scrape it off and all be ok. What did your fiancée say? OS.

LOL You might be able to grate some into a nice spaghetti sauce like flaked oregano now. I can relate to it because I did the same thing with mine. MIne wasn't a non stick pan though. It shouldn't hurt a thing. Did any of the non stick stuff melt onto the DW? Even if it did, you should be able to scrape it off and all be ok. What did your fiancée say? OS.

She didn't say much, I've wanted a new stock pot anyway...

It doesn't look like I lost any teflon, but I'll likely retire it for food purposes.

I did the exact same thing on my last piece :p It doesn't hurt anything, it just might take some more boiling/soaking to put back the water you just removed.

Well it sinks just on its density alone. I rubbed the charcoal off and put it back in the bucket. Got about 7 hours of boiling in today even with my incident.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I got lucky on my recent DW purchase. I put it in a white sink and filled with boiling water and let sit all day. Very little tannins came out. Its Malaysian DW.

Back
Top Bottom