I bought a dwarf frog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADCISCO

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I went and did it.....I bought a dwarf frog....and man is he lazy.....hasnt moved once since he was put in! Should I have bought 2? Or would it have been just as lazy as this one. I was hoping that it would be fun to watch.....boy what a let down :( .

They are not all that active, however, when they do swim it's fun to watch. Also, you have to remember that just like fish. the frog may take a few days to get adjusted before he feels comfortable enough to move around.

My frog doesn't move alot. He floats alot, and it is cool to watch him when he does decide to swim. I don't know that getting two would really increase their activity. I just envision them sitting on either side of the tank zoning out.
The frog is also useful cause he eats what the fish don't.

He went and hid on me.I had to go looking under things to find him to show him to the hubby and I know by the time he gets in there he will be hid again...he's so tiny...I think I will call him speck. :lol:

Last night after everything calmed down my little frog came out.....I got to watching him try to swim....he wasnt doing the best job so I got closer to him to only find out that he was missing a FOOT!!!!!!! So I got up early this morning and caught him and took him back to the store and guy (which we have became pretty decent friends with) Gave me another frog and let me keep him. He said that it wasnt unusal for them not to have a foot or an arm.....at least I can tell them apart :lol: So we have a Speck so what should the other ones name be?

gjscad said:
What is the smallest size aquarium that a dwarf frog can live in and be happy.

They are small and don't grow big, so I would say anysize tank that you can get a filter on would be suffice.

Wow, a one footed frog. I bet he swims in a lot of circles. I can see him (or her) in the wild saying to him/herself "Gee, this stop looks really familiar. I think I've been here before!" :D

Of course, Kermit is the obvious name choice, but if you want something different, name him Leonard. For no reason at all.

What is the smallest size aquarium that a dwarf frog can live in and be happy.

I had 2 frogs in a 2.5 gallon hex tank for about 1 and a half years before they passed on. They seemed very happy in their little tank the whole time. Those two were the only residents in that tank and they were both pretty active.

Are African Dwarf Frogs hardy? Could they make it in a 2 gallon that has been recently set up - (2 weeks) with three other small fish. AND what is the best thing to feed them?

Love the name Speck - I'm sure you'll come up with another just as unique.

I had a 2.5 gallon tank that had 2 frogs living in it and they did fine for a long time.
I fed them sinking shrimp pelets. They seem to like those.

I was thining of taking them out of the 29 gallon tank with all the fish. I havent seen them eat at all. Everytime I try and feed them the fish get their food. I have an octigon 2 gallon tank without a heater. Would that be ok or do I need to get a heater for that tank? Or would the light keep the water warm enough for them? Do I need an air pump for the tank too? I just want these little guys to have a good life and I know in that big tank with 19 fish they are never going to eat with those big bunch of pigs around.

I would also like to know if the frogs would need a heater in a small tank.

The LFS told me that in a small tank (like a 2 gallon) one does not need a heater as a small container of water is able to maintain room temperature.

Hi ADCISCO -- I think Speck and Spike are great names!

Also to try to answer the heater question -- I only have a 5 1/2 gallon tank with 2 bettas (well, one betta now :bawl: ) I have a 25-watt heater in there. I really don't think that it's safe to have a heater in anything less than 5 gallons. I have seen small, 10-watt or so heaters in Wal-Mart that say they are for small bowls, but I have not seen them in the pet stores, and I don't know how safe they really are. As far as the light keeping the water warm -- yes, it will, but when you turn off the light at night, the temp will fall, and they may be sensitive to that drop. That's one reason I got my bettas out of the bowls and into this tank so I could give them a heater. They were in one-gallon bowls, and it couldn't maintain the temperature. Your situation may be different, though. You should get a thermometer so you know how the temp. fluctuates. Look at the temp. after the light has been on for awhile, and then look first thing in the morning before you turn the tank light on.

Maybe -- I don't know for sure -- you could use a heated rock? I've seen them used for lizards, so don't know if they are ok for the frogs. If they would work, they could turn off and on during the day and night as needed to maintain the temp. Check this out at the lfs -- because I've never had frogs and don't know for sure if they would like a heated rock!

The frog is a totally underwater frog so a heated rock really wouldn't work. Can you place the tank in a warm part of your house.

I don't use heaters in any of my tanks so I do'nt know about heaters for smaller tanks. It just doesnt' get that cold where I like.

My frogs did fine in a 2.5g tank for a long time. All I had was the light in the hood to heat the water. I just watched the temp closely to make sure that it didn't drop more than a few degrees (this was easy to do since the frogs were all I had at the time). I think that the tank temp would be fine if the tank is small enough. I didn't have too bad of a temp drop overnight, even in winter, it gets c-c-cold at night here in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom