I cannot wait to start...questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrennanX

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay, it has always been a dream of mine to start a saltwater aquarium. I think a well kept tank are absolutely gorgeous, and I cannot wait to start one.

I have about 500-600$ I am willing to spend (instantly, much more in the long run) to start my tank.

I wish to have a Saltwater + Invertabrae tank (I love anenome)

The tank i have picked out, a 72gal bowed tank which costs 210$ at my LPS.
That leaves 290-390 for equipment.

I would like to use live sand and live rock initially to cycle.

What I need help with is.....

How much sand/live rock will I need to start?
After I fill the tank with water, are there any chemicals i need to add besides dechloronate?
I realize I need a heater, a protein skimmer, a filter, a thermometer, and a light - about how much will all of that cost me, and is there anything else Im missing?
What is a sump generally consist of, are they necessary? are they hard to set up?

Ive read several ways to start a nitrogen cycle, what do you as experienced hobbyists prefer, especially with my type of tank?

How long does it generally take with all the types of cycling you go through to put fish in?

What fish do you reccomend starting out with?

Is there anything else I am completely missing?

I have read a few books on the subject, but I always like input from everyday people like me who have been through atleast one if not many tanks

Thanks in advance

The old 50 questions trick huh. :)
1 2-3 inches of sand about 70-90 lbs of LR
2 Hopefully you wont have to add dechlorinator. Tap water is not a good idea for your tank. Try to use RO/DI water.
3 Eqipement price depends on size of your wallet. Shop online for lower prices.
4 sumps are not a must but they do help.
5 cycle http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15
6 4 to 6 to 8 weeks
7 take the cycle time to research and find out what is appropiate for your tank as livestock.

imo, i would spend the $$ on lr right now, while the tank is going to cycle. (about 1.5 - 2 lbs per gal of water). youll have about 4-8 weeks of cycling to get the rest of the equipment :D oh and WELCOME, this is the best site out there.

wouldn't it be a good idea to get all of your equipment first and then do a fishless cycle? Everything that I have read on this site is leading me to believe that that is the best way. just curious because that is what I am waiting for.

I am just like you are right now. I have 125g that I want to set up. I am building the stand now. I can't wait to get it up and going but I want to do it right from the start. So I am doing alot of reading. This site is awesome I love it. My mind is like a sponge right now. I think I am having brain overload. LOL I am taking lots of notes. My biggest problem now is finding the right lights.

well, while the tank is cycling, you have 4-8 weeks of waiting, so in the mean time, you can get other equipment needed, and research what you want to put in the tank. so imo, it would be best to spend the $ on lr, b/c it is the best investment for a tank, besides protien skimmer, so invest in the most lr, then while tank is cycling, you get the other equipment for the tank. depending on size of tank, you should already have an idea of what you want to put in it, so you can RESEARCH that and find things that are a "good fit" for your size. and as far as the lighting, it really depends on what you want to put in it, you can buy your lighting based on that, or you can buy your critters based on lighting.

go for hirocks.com rock to save money on some of your rock. this will free up money to make sure you have enough rock and a good skimmer.

While it's a good idea to plan for a sump, it's not the most important thing to have. Better to get a good skimmer and lots of LR. and a RODI.

most importantly, don't get ahead of yourself. nothing good happens quickly in SW, and you'll save a lot of money (and fish) if you go slowly.

Back
Top Bottom