I can't pass on the puff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do love me some puffers! Sometimes they are tricky to feed in the beginning, but I found live food is what gets them started. After that they will accept frozen bloodworms, or other frozen fare.

Ounce for ounce, they are the fiercest FW fish out there, IMO! :twisted:

What kind of setup do you have for them?

i just bought 3 two days ago and put them in a 10 with an oto. today i put more plants hehe they're so awesome :D but they havent been eating the frozen mysis shrimp so should i slowly go from let's say live brine to what i have or should i just make them wait it out until they give in? the only live food i can get are crickets, meal worms, and brine shrimp. what do you think TankGirl?

The only way I got mine to eat when I brought them home was to feed some live adult brine shrimp, as the baby brine were too small for them. I'd get them started on live brine, and then wean them to what you have after they are used to eating what you put in the tank. Which may be 4-7 days.

Once they are eating feed some frozen bloodworms also, because shrimp are not terribly nutritious for them, though they are good to alternate with. They'll need live baby snails for their teeth as well.

The oto may or may not do well in there with them, so watch him carefully. These are unbelievably vicious once they decide they are going to go after something, but I've kept them with dwarf plecos without trouble so hopefully it'll be okay.

Good luck with your little fellows - I love 'em!

I got a green spotted puffer about 1 year ago. When I first brought him home from the store he wouldn't eat anything. I went back to the LFS and purchased the exact stuff they were feeding him, and for about 2 weeks he still wouldn't touch it.

Now, he'll eat anything that goes in the tank!! haha. I love him, he is so awesome. He eats every type of dry food (flakes, shrimp pellets, brine shrimp, etc) and also LOVES live food (crickets, craw fish, feeder comets, rosie reds, and snails). He is definetly a very aggressive (but great personality) fish!

-brent

*whines*
I waaaaaant one!

Since my friends carnie goldfish are cycling my 29gal tank (the cycle was an added bonus, but the fish really had no other options than being put into an uncycled tank), I will start my puffer tank after she takes her fish back =o)

I havn't decided if I want to grow low light plants, since I have the substrate and plant nutrients already...

It is a 5 1/2 under the right side of my 90FW, Getting one more 5 1/2 for the left side, Might be for shrimp..

They love the bloodworms,, (frozen) no problem at all, they laughed at me when I tried to give them flake the first night,, so it was out to the LFS

they kind of pick at the frozen mysis shrimp but not as much as the "experimental" freeze dried bloodworms i put in so i bought some live brine and frozen bloodworms yesterday. they gorged themselves on the brine so that's a relief. vote for the pic of my puffer (photo I) in the april fw photo contest!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=48584

That pic is too funny!!! When the screen first came up I could see only the half with the puffer in it, and I thought, cool, a puffer pic. Then I scrolled over and saw him giving that shrimp the hairy eyeball and I cracked up - love it!

that's one of the female puffs i got a few days ago; they're all real characters. GOOD remember the picture of the pickachu and think of me!

Your pic is very much like that one with the snail - same idea, and a great photo capture.

I have a breeding pair of Sea Frog Puffer's and I feed them prawns, blooworm, earthworms, try flake sometimes and muscles for the teath. 0X

Back
Top Bottom