I did it! I got my brother to upgrade! LOL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baron1282

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, my brother has two telescope goldfish, and I never knew the size until I went and saw them first hand. My gosh they were huge! I knew goldfish get big, but wow. So to the point, they were in a 29 gallon at first, and I got him to finally upgrade to a 75 gallon for his gold fish.

I know liveaquria says 30 is the tank minimal for them, but with how big they looked, I couldn't see how 30 would do them justice. He is doing a planted tank with them, and he is not going to add anymore Goldfish, but the two he has.

The only issue is that one of the Goldfish swims in like a circular pattern when he swims, upside down and on the side. He can't tell what's wrong with it, but it's been alive for a good long time now (2 years). So I hope a bigger tank might correct the issue, but I don't think it will.

Here is what he has.

2 Telescope Goldfish.
4 Tetra's (Assorted, small)
2 Gold Barbs.

That is all he has, what can I suggest to him now with his upgrade so he can get more life into his tank latter on? Thanks!

Cold water fish? The tetras and gold fish require different temps although they may look fine it could be effecting them slowly

Baby steps my friend! Baby steps! The fact I got him to spend money on a bigger tank for his goldfish is a big step up.

Goldfish are fine in warmer water as long as it does not go over 86 degrees. The best is between 75 degrees for good growth, but you can go up to 80 degrees for good growth as well. Just as long as you do not go too hot. They wouldn't be stressed as long as the tank is not above 86 degrees, in fact they will grow and be happy!

Just because a fish can live in close to freezing water, does not mean you should just let the tank temp go to that. A stable temp is better than letting go close to freezing.

So what exactly is the issue? Dary offered some useful insight and it was squashed...I have no real experience with gold fish but it seems as though you keep gf or tropicall, not both..

You do realize warmer water for goldfish speeds up their growtg in a bad way right? They will grow fast and not live their full life.

Nothing is the problem. The thing Is, I came and asked was what fish can I suggest to him now? And all I get is how gold fish can't live in warm water which is false. They can live in warm water as long as it is not above a certain point.

He already has the fish listed, so I am trying to suggest fish that can live with gold fish.

So the baby steps is the fact my brother had no clue on fish keeping, and I have been helping. So I guess there is no help here.

Try googling swim bladder disease to see if that's what the goldie has. It's very common with goldfish.

Personally, I love dojo loaches. They are peaceful coldwater fish with tons of personality.

As stated above, the tropical fish will not do well with goldfish long term. They requrie different temperatures. Just because goldfish can survive at higher temperatures does not mean it's good for them long term. We are all just trying to help you create a successful aquarum.

I understand, and the difference between your advice and the others is that you offer real advice, and I thank you. I might try and get him to keep the other fish in the small 29, but I do not know if he will.

He is the type of guy that think fish is just decoration. So it's hard to get him to change.

I did look up goldfish care and they do live in a lot of tropical places. They also live out in the wild in some warm tropical water in Asia. In fact many say it's a myth that Goldfish can't live in a tropical tank, and many researchers say the same thing.

I am not trying to be a pain, just trying to help my brother.

I was wrong, he has zebra danio's. Not tetras. So according to live aquaria they are good at temps at 72 to 80 degrees. He also keeps his tank temp at 76 degrees so his plants won't die.

The gold barbs are good at 74 to 82 degrees. So I think his tank is fine with what he has.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394989612.224473.jpg

This is his tank. He got the live dirt stuff and he transferred the rock and some of his plants from the old tank to the new. He also has two canister filters that does over 75 gallons each.

I also made him put a full big bottle of safe start into it.

Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you here.. Oooff! Welp hopefully he removes it before it rots and messes with the water quality! As much as I enjoy this hobby and keeping my fish as healthy as possible I really don't offer my advice to anyone in person with a tank that needs help unless they ask... Some people are content with their erroneous fish keeping practices.

My brother is really stubborn! So like I said before, I am taking baby steps to convert him to a better tank owner.

Is there a way he can keep the plants but have it raised up in a box? Like what kind of box can I suggest that will suction to the side or back so the leafs will stick out?

Maybe. I will just take it and put it in my 5 gallon fluval chi when I get it.

I remember running across a goldfish disease site. Spiraling and circling is a symptom of a disease. I will try to see if I can find it for you.

Sent from my HTC first using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think "your brother" shld do a lil research before spending all the time & $ involved. I agree with the above post of the water temps not to mention goldfish are rather messy fish that will cause your water to be more unstable frequently. Other fish (even community tropicals) are known to eat the slime coat off of goldfish. Separate tanks is best bet imo. Owner of both with multiple tanks.

Back
Top Bottom