I did it...I got my rose anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malkore

Aquarium Advice Addict
The LFS had a BTA in a few weeks ago...but then it split into two tiny ones, that looked like they were dying (all closed up, only a few tentacles out).

Today they were supposed to get another one in...instead they got a rose anemone. I got a pretty decent deal on it, so I hope it does well in my tank.

Drip acclimation going right now, into the bag it was shipped in...better acclimation than what my LFS would do (float bag, add a little water, dump anemone into display tank).

Tank is 11 months old now, and stable, no weird deaths in ages. My only real issue is getting alkalinity up, and maintaining it.

Oh, the best part is, I took my bucket of loose change to the bank and cashed it in to $110, so the anemone was sort of a 'free gift' to myself.

Pictures will be coming soon once he's in the tank, situated, and opened up. But he's a good sized rose...almost the diameter of my palm.

photo!

a little over an hour of acclimation, then slipped on my aqua gloves and put it into the tank. he crawled right up onto the rock.

only actinic light is on, and he's liking it.

Attachments

• im001336.jpg
    im001336.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 108
I got one a couple of weeks back, he's working to find a comfortable place to live (low in the tank surprisingly).

I got my rose in mine hes doing fantastic after a nice fresh krill feeding. i only have 260watts of PC lighting in a 150 gallon tank and he is very low in my tank.

Maybe ill post some pics of mine as well :) congrats!

Malkore,
That looks great. Tank looks fantastic for only 11 months.

Have your false Percs had a visit to the Rose yet?

Keep the pics coming for those of us who have another 6-8 months (hopefully) to go before living the anenome/coral dream!

Thanks

no hosting by the percs yet, but only 12 hours...go figure.

David, you don't necessarily have to wait a year to start adding corals. Especially the lower light mushrooms...they are very hardy.

Idont know if anyone is going to check this thread again but here is mine climbing the wall

Rose.jpg

here's a photo of it after the lights have been off 4 hours. I figured it'd close up, but it seems to be stretching out.

Experts: what's the best thing to feed him? I have good light, but I'm sure he'll still need real food. I heard somewhere to use silversides, but I can only get a huge frozen slab from the LFS. The LFS suggested a jar of zooplankton in some kind of liquid.

Attachments

• im001339.jpg
    im001339.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 158
Mine seems to enjoy krill. i got a little packet of the frozen whole krill and put a few in some RO/DI water and let it defrost. Both of mine loved it and looks 10 fold better after feeding.

Yeah, mines a bit bleached out. I have some krill, but they don't seem to be whole (its those Aqua Yums brand ocean krill).
I tried mysis shrimp last night, but my fish all went for it. Next time i'll turn off the powerheads so I can spot feed it more accurately.

Yeah, mines a bit bleached out.
Most likely from the shipping process. It should recover. I have never target-fed any oth my anemones, they get what they get at tank feeding time.

IME, a bleached BTA can be brought "back" fairly quickly by feeding krill/silversides every 5-7 days. Some anemones will prefer krill, some prefer silversides, etc. Watch to see which food(s) your's prefers. When the zooxanthellae return there is no need to target feed IME as Lando said also. Congrats.

wow 110$ from a change bucket.. huge bucket im guessing.

lol it looks so soft. like touch and feel really nice.. but no lol.

Very Nice malkore!! Man that makes me want one even more now!! :mrgreen:

I bought one a couple months back. It wondered off, and I never saw it again..... :(

I shut down my powerheads for their first feeding. just stuck 1 krill ( break off the back half to make sure its not all curled up otherwise they will have trouble getting it down.) then i just put it eaither in their tenticles and let them grab it, or for my rose i put it right on his mouth and let him close.

post more pics when yours comes back around. :)

Mine climbed the wall and is now towards the top of the tank. The gold stripe maroon clown hasn't left his side.

Well, my BTA doesn't seem to wanna take food from me via spot feeding. He also shrivels up a lot of the time.
This morning, I can't even find him, but I know he didn't get caught in a powerhead.

How long does it 'usually' take for a BTA to find the spot it wants to park in? The guy at the LFS said they tend to always roam around in his tank.

This anemone is really stressing me out!

Back
Top Bottom