I Don't Heat My Tanks.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hpiguy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Currently the temp in my 55 and my 29 is 61-63 degrees, the same temp as the house. I keep it cool in here in Winter. It goes to about an average of 74 in summer and fluctuates anywhere from 73 to 80 in one day.

I stopped heating in the summer as always, and then never turned them back on, so they slowly dropped in temp, it was not instant.

I stopped heating over a year ago and let the tanks adjust themselves. Lighting is a 4 foot shop light with daylight bulbs on the 55, and stock hood on the 29 with aftermarket daylight bulb. They give off minimal heat. I do grow plants in the 55.

I filter with larger than needed HOB filters, using floss mat. Only occasionally using carbon.

I keep giant danios (my favorite species), bamboo shrimp, amano shrimp, three spot gouramis, corydoras, zebra danios, upside down catfishes, harlequin rasboras, black skirt tetras and cherry barbs between the two tanks. The small fish are in the 29, the largers in the 55.

I have zero fish health issues. Nothing. They grow to normal home aquarium sizes, the same ones that would breed on occasion when I heated the tanks still breed now.

As listed, I do not keep delicate or particularly sensitive species. These are all regular abundant and robust fish anyone can buy at any fish store.

I do have heaters in both tanks, but now they are only there in case the furnace broke or something catastrophic caused the house temp to drop below 60.

According to some, my fish should have been sick and dead a year ago. It can't just be 'luck'.

My opinion is that yes, these are 'tropical' species of fish but likely have never lived a day in the tropics, being likely mostly captive bred. I think they can easily be acclimated to reasonably lower temps. The three local fish stores keep all their tanks at 70-74 which means I'm keeping them from 7-10 degrees cooler for part of the year.

I'm saving $30 month on electric heat for the tanks in winter.

Discuss... :popcorn:

They have most Likely gotten used to the colder temp. Before I got my heater, my tank was at 66 and what do you know, I got Ich. The only problem I see with it, is it could make them more susceptible to disease. A fishes immune system depends on the temperature because they are cold blooded. If the water is warm, their immune system is strong. when it's cold, it is weaker.

While you may have success with it, this is doubtful to be a norm. I would never trust my tanks to drop that low or fluctuate that much. I agree your fish have adjusted to it but I wouldn't risk my livestock.

I agree, I do not expect it to be the norm. :) Most should leave their heaters on because a lot of fishkeepers already have stressed or seriously overstocked fish as it is.

One good thing, colder water holds more oxygen.

I have noticed no stressed behavior in any of the fish. They still cruise around the tank as always. No lethargy with the cooler temps.

Their appetites are close to the same, a little decreased, to be expected with cooler temps, but I'm not a heavy feeder either so they take every feeding well.

Yep and hey if it's working and the fish show no stress I don't see an issue. Their metabolism is probably slowed a lot too so less feeding is optimal

I keep zebra danios from the outdoor pool in my basement with no heaters in the winter, the water temp is in the low 60's as well. I do keep more sensitive tropicals and heat their tanks however. I don't see a problem.

Here I go getting all moral but just because it's surviving does not mean it's thriving, I live in mass and I love fishing, ice fishing too, the fish I catch in the warmer months look wayyyy better than colder months. Yes they are still active enough to bite a lure but they are in pure survival mode.. Should aquarium fish have to be in survival mode? Wouldn't it be just as nice to see them all warm and cozy in their glass box??

I don't have a heater in my 29g, my room is anywhere from 82-90 degrees (I'm a very cold person lol) so the temp is about 76-80 degrees and my tropical fish are fine. Same with my 20 long.

I don't have a heater in my 29g, my room is anywhere from 82-90 degrees (I'm a very cold person lol) so the temp is about 76-80 degrees and my tropical fish are fine. Same with my 20 long.
76-80 is perfect for a tropical fish, that's an ideal situation.. My apt is like 64 and my tanks are by old drafty windows. I've gone out on a cold morning to a 55 degree room. My fish all look at the heater at once and flare their fins;)

Sensitive fish? All fish tropical are sensitive to those temperatures. I don't recommend anyone with tropical fish to let the temp to drop that low. 61 degrees is gold fish territory.

Here I go getting all moral but just because it's surviving does not mean it's thriving, I live in mass and I love fishing, ice fishing too, the fish I catch in the warmer months look wayyyy better than colder months. Yes they are still active enough to bite a lure but they are in pure survival mode.. Should aquarium fish have to be in survival mode? Wouldn't it be just as nice to see them all warm and cozy in their glass box??

But you're comparing extremes. You're commenting on 33 degree water and constant ice cover, reduced food sources, little to no plant life, low oxygen levels and significantly reduced daylight hours. Those are the conditions in the wild. I ice fish in WI.

My fish aren't in nearly those types of minimal conditions. They have the same amount of light, growing plants, regular feedings, high oxygen levels, etc. I just have the tanks 10 degree lower than average. That is all.

My fish breed, they hatch, and they grow to normal home aquarium size. Fish in survival mode don't breed and they don't grow in size. :)

Back
Top Bottom