I don't think that this will work but my friend does,i want your opinion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cantra

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My friend wants to put a leafy seadragon in a 20 gallon tank with a clownfish and an anemone. I'm pretty sure that it won't work but she won't listen to me and i know she didn't research any of it and i'm worried that she'll kill the fish and fail our class because of it. The teacher won't give good advice at all so I don't trust her when she says that it'll be fine

Where are you located? As far as I know, leafy seadragons are illegal to keep and impossible to get unless you are a zoo or some other science related field who works with them. They cannot be obtained through normal channels so I'm kinda confused on how your friend or even the science teacher would have obtained one.
As for putting on in a 20g with a clown and anemone, very bad idea. These animals grow quite large and would need huge established systems to thrive.

I agree that your tank is too small. I really also think the clown will outcompete the sea dragon for food.

its not my tank it's hers and another girls in the class tank. They both want it and they said they found a place where they could get it. I'm trying to get them not to because I was already sure that they couldn't be kept together or in that small of tank

I'm in US, in Texas

Well, definately not and any means of getting these animals in my knowledge would be illegal.
There is no way to cram a dragon in a 20g tank and expect it to do well, let alone with other competing animals. Please stress to them what a completely bad idea this is and is destined for failure.

I agree with Cindy on all accounts. I thought they were illegal to own as well.

Do you think I should talk her out of getting the anemone as well? I know that most of them get quite large (to large for a 20 gal) and I know we don't have the tanks set up properly for an anemone.

So far she's not listening to what i have to say about the sea dragon being a bad idea and I've even told her what ya'll have said and showed her but she doesn't want to believe me. I've asked her and her partner to do thier research but they aren't going to

yes, bad idea aswell. they get too big, and they would have to be added at least 6 months after the tank has been cycled.

I'm talking to the teacher tomorrow and see what she says about it because it sounds like she didn't talk to the teacher though she says she did

Seadragons are indeed illegal/endangered (CITES/Redlist) to keep unless proper licensing by a researching/educational institution or public aquarium. No offense, but based on your accounts regarding this animal not expected to see proper husbandry protocols I would have already called 'Fish and Wildlife' if I knew of your location. All that I can address or willing to address, is that you take this animal to a public aquarium. Of course, as I stated before, my opinion based on the facts you have given.

She hasn't gotten it yet. And I don't plan on getting one.

If you stress to the teacher that they are "ILLEGAL" she'll put an end to the whole project all together and fast. No teacher want's to lose her license.

I'm talking to her tomorrow because yeah she does need to know and she won't let them get it if she did know

Back
Top Bottom