I dont understand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beehpee

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, what I don't understand is I have several live bearers in my tank who have in the short time I've had a fish tank given birth quite frequently, I see them one minute and no sooner born than eaten, so finally I've managed to net a second tiny fry, so what I don't understand is how can it be that I am so thrilled to see this fry which as yet I've no idea what it is and without 20/20 vision it would be nigh on impossible to even see, how can I a normally sane macho guy get so excited over something so tiny? I don't know but do I care? No! I shall look after it with all the care I can, even if it is destined to be a humble Guppie, Molly or Platty I shall be so excited when the time comes that he/she is big enough to release into the main tank lol

BP

If you keep lots of floating java moss, in a somewhat dense mass, your fry can hang out in there until they are big enough to avoid being eaten. My fry are born in the main tank.

Great idea just been looking at it online so deff gonna get some java moss, can get it easy enough online if not got it in shop, thanks.

BP

Hi, what I don't understand is I have several live bearers in my tank who have in the short time I've had a fish tank given birth quite frequently, I see them one minute and no sooner born than eaten, so finally I've managed to net a second tiny fry, so what I don't understand is how can it be that I am so thrilled to see this fry which as yet I've no idea what it is and without 20/20 vision it would be nigh on impossible to even see, how can I a normally sane macho guy get so excited over something so tiny? I don't know but do I care? No! I shall look after it with all the care I can, even if it is destined to be a humble Guppie, Molly or Platty I shall be so excited when the time comes that he/she is big enough to release into the main tank lol

BP

Taking nothing away from livebearers as they are great fish to learn the basics from, just wait until you see a spawn of egglaying fish that produce a few hundred babies at a time. :D A whole gammet of emotions get involved because these fry look so helpless until they are swimming around. Then, they are depending on YOU to feed them. Imagine a couple hundred hungry mouths watching your every move and thinking "Is he coming over now to feed us?" :lol:

Enjoy your babies (y)

Welcome to AA!

Anacharis and hornwort are also great "fry protection" plants. Pack your tank pretty full and you will have a lot more survivors. :)

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to look for more plants of the types mentioned today, as most have said great to watch the fry developing and can't wait till I eventually actually see them being born, I'm happy with the live bearers for now but hope to eventually become experienced enough to keep the egg layers and go down that route as well, the bank balance sure takes a hit with this hobby but worth every penny.

BP

Back
Top Bottom