I got my first fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
I went and got me a little dwarf puffer today. I wanted to get the otos first, but nobody had them. The LFS tried to tell me that dwarf puffers will get along with other fish. lol. I will probably go back and get another one tomorrow if all goes well. Tank is cycled. Doing a final water change to try and get the nitrates down some more while acclimating him. I am just nervous that I will screw something up. I will cry if he dies!

EDIT: Will he be ok with the light on? I want to see him but I don't want it to be too bright for him.

Sweet!! How exciting!! Can't wait to see pics of the little guy. The light should be fine, IMO, assuming he's not up against it while acclimating. It's probably best you didn't go for otos first, as I'm pretty sure they need algae to eat. Best to wait until you got more fish and more algae to be eaten.

I usually like to keep the light off for the first day I introduce a fish as it makes them calm down a little more. I would also suggest waiting to get the otos as there really is nothing for them to munch on.

+1 for CA BroncoFan, I'd listen to him and keep the light off. Hope he's doing OK!

Me too :D He's pretty scared right now. I am just real nervous that he will be ok. I think I read too much lol. I went over to check him out and he curled his little tail and started nipping at the bag! He's pretty cool. Will def. keep the light off then. I took a couple pics but I am going to try and wait for him to be more settled in. I was going to try and feed him but they had just fed them before i got there. I was wondering about the otos and the algae; I was going to put some wafers in there for them. Either way I am excited! And I hope everything goes ok

Me too :D He's pretty scared right now. I am just real nervous that he will be ok. I think I read too much lol. I went over to check him out and he curled his little tail and started nipping at the bag! He's pretty cool. Will def. keep the light off then. I took a couple pics but I am going to try and wait for him to be more settled in. I was going to try and feed him but they had just fed them before i got there. I was wondering about the otos and the algae; I was going to put some wafers in there for them. Either way I am excited! And I hope everything goes ok

One thing I've noticed with otos and algae pellets is that they can be kind of hit and miss. The ones in my 20g will nibble on them a bit, but the ones in the 10g won't touch them. I've also heard that they enjoy blanched zuchini.

Back
Top Bottom