i got saltly.new pics 06/06/07 its been like 6 months

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Caulerpa, macroalgae. It can sometimes grow out of control and go sexual in your tank, which means that it releases gametes into the water. Can cloud your tank, cause minor O2 depletion, and overfill you skimmer really quick.

Just make sure to keep it trimmed back. :)

Tank looks great, btw!

Yep thats it hehe.

When I was reading your post about your newest coral you didnt know what it was. It looks like a Xenia to me. Is it pulsing, or opening and closing?

Very nice tank. I like the aquascaping. Just too hard to believe the size. It looks so much larger.

thanks :) i love the layout of the 15 gal tanks. i trimmed a bunch of the macro algea today and kinda arranged things. i am gonna take a bunch more pics tongiht. i am also going to try to frag some of my green zoos. they are growing like crazy but they are kinda stuck in a hole so i want to spread them out.

Your LR looks very healthy. Did that macro algae grow naturally or did you add it?
and kinda arranged things
It looked good as it was- reefers are never happy, are we! Good looking tank.

I agree the tank looks good. I like how you have it set up! Awesome Zoos too!! I keep looking at the pics of the algae...Are you sure it is Caulerpa? Maybe I'm not seeing what you guys are but it doesn't look like C. Taxifolia to me, unless that is the flat blade type...

if u look at the first pic of my tank and the one now the only thing i hav added is the corals. all the algea and everything just grew. i was quite suprised how alive it became. thanks for the comments everyone

ok well i have a hugggggggeeeee update. i bought an anenome i couldnt resist. they had just recieved them in thr sotre adn it looked fantastic. a good size and incredibly healthy. they had ones the size of basketballs it was crazy. so i piked him up plys a small colony of stars that were unmounted. only paid 5 buxks for the stars. i also got an actual star fish to. a little red guy about the size of a quarter. cant get a pic yet as he is hiding. but i got some half decent ones of the anenome. i named him mr.white. and my clown is named mr orange lol. i moved a bit around to accomadate a spot i thought he would like. he has stayed right where i placed him to aside from some fine adjustment. my clown is a little dumb and hasnt seemed to notice it at all yet but i am sure he will go eventually. so here it is.
img_788939_0_f5bb3b568e6cabadf7492a358d8dadc4.jpg

i believe is said it was a sebae anenome(excuse my spelling)
img_788939_1_d94b91cd0346d8d68a48e3aa45b28c22.jpg

lol no one cares? well i will update anyway. still doing awesome. he is really perky and grabs food out of the water as it goes by. clown is still dumb and showing no interest but i know it may take alot of time or never. i spot fed it and it just inhaled the food. he is pushing the rock back a bit behind him. i think he wants to be a bit furthur back from the powerhead. it has completly wrapped around the rock behind him. i still need to take a full tank shot... note to self: take full tank shot.....

Looks really good. Be careful not to over feed it. Sebaes, IME, don't appreciate target feedings as much as some other anemones. With Sebaes being "high light" anemones, that seems to makes sense. A couple times a month is plenty. It will fulfill the majority of it's needs w/ energy from the lighting, and leftovers from fish feedings and detritus. I've had one w/ a porcelin anemone crab since '03, and they are still one of my favorite pieces.
clown is still dumb and showing no interest but i know it may take alot of time or never
It took my Occ. clowns a few weeks. Most times if there is nothing else more "comfortable" in the tank, the clown will pair up w/ the anemone. Good luck w/ them.

Definitley can't wait for a full tank shot with the anemone.

Just as a warning, I would cut off your powerheads at night for the first few nights, incase the anemone starts to go wandering. When they get sucked up into them...it's not pretty...trust me. :(

I had a sebae as well, never could keep them alive. A lot of people have issues because they bleach easily. Yours is bleached actually. White is not their normal color. They are normally brown. So just beware to keep an extra eye on water parameters and don't worry when it starts to color up some. Just do watch out for it. It starts to look drab, flip over on the sand, etc. remove it as soon as possible to a QT tank or similar. You don't want it dying in your tank. Not to freak you out, but just so you are aware.

Give your clowns time. Coincidentally, my clowns took about 20 minutes before they found the sebae when I had it. They are hosting feins. :)

Yours is bleached actually. White is not their normal color. They are normally brown
Many people say that, but it's not always true. Clear is more of an indication of bleaching in an anemone. White is stoney coral, the skeleton underneath the tissue is white. Some Sebaes are just that crisp white, until kept under less than optimal lighting such as fluorescents(they are high light animals). Then they go brown. Mine perked back up to a crisp white since switching to MH's. HTH

Thanks Mike, everything I've read always says otherwise, but personal experience rules over that. :p I attempted 2 white sebaes about a year ago and they didn't last. In the end, I either chalked it up as being bleached and stressed, or the clowns just harrassed it too much. In the end, I guess I can say the clowns did it in, which is reassuring. :)

Just to reitterate...full tank shot, all the way. :)

lol i will take a full tank shot tonight. or i will try. sometimes the tanks just doesnt want to be photographed. he seems to be doing pretty well. i have 65 watts of 50/50 pc light over the tank. i am looking at adding 20 or 40 more watts of regular flourescent. either actenic or normal light or both. i actually re arranged the tank for him. i moved my xenia so i could put hm there. i arranged it in a place hwere he has no shadows on him at all and the flow is going just slightly above his body. hasnt move more than an inch since i put him in. i seem to have alot of luck when it comes to fish tanks. planted, breeding and now salt. all work out perfectly and flawlessly lol.

so the day has finally arrived!!!! my clown finally decided to host the anenome i am sooo happy. i thought all hope was lost there for a while since he wouldnt even go near it then BAM today he was just happily lazing in and out of it. the anenome hasa been a bit funny to take care of. it was big and healtly looking for a while then all of a sudden it just kinda delflated. he was like that for 2 days then in the morning he was big and full and happy looking again. nothin changed but him. so i was happy. but then i came home to him up and wandering around the tank. i moved all my corals away from that area so he wasnt a threat and watched him. after he moved around back in an awkward place i enterviened and moved him back up to the front. where he origianlly was. now he is staying there. very happy looking again. now the clown is have a grand old time hiding in there. the 6 line was startign to pester him a but but now he is safe in his little area. lol i love saltwater. all other corals are doing great. the button polyps always seem to look kinda sad, only 1 head is open and it looks a little droopy but it has sent out like 3 new heads so it must be kinda happy. zoos are growing like they are on crack. same with green star polyps. and the ricordia shroom just popped up a new head on the same rock. i think tomorrow i will take some pictures. i am kinda over due for some. i also fragged my zoas. a nice little rock with 13 heads on it and spreading. so ya hopefully tomorrow is picture day bye for now

Nice, can't wait to see some newer pictures.

A word of warning. If the anemone starts roaming again, you *may* want to remove the clown for a day or so until it gets situated. Anemones don't take too kindly to being battered my clownfish while they are moving around the tank. :)

Best of luck!

ok well i finally got around to taking some more pictures. no full tank shot as of yet but some clown anenome pics. i hope u enjoy them as must as i enjoy watching the clown. i may have to make a video of him playing around.
img_796193_0_33d808b1e44fbbae5536af0ade943c3d.jpg

i he spotted me here.
img_796193_1_405e1e95df184462a4033f65db7ee33f.jpg

and this is with a different setting on the cam. still looks cool to.
img_796193_2_63e181f094727864616fed63724e113b.jpg

Fabulous pics!!! I'm so glad the clown and anemone hooked up for you!

thanks starfyre. i am glad they did to or it would have defeted the point of the 80 dollar anenome lol. does anybody have any good suggestions for a coral to place near the anenome? that side of the tank is realtivlt empty and i was wondering if there is a semi safe coral that i can place near it. i dont want something that will spread outwards. since i dont want it to creep towards the anemome.

Back
Top Bottom