I have a couple of questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rzzi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So im very new to this, i have a silver tipped shark and some other fish that i dont know that names. ive read some places that i need to add salt to my tank for the silver tipped shark. what should i do? i dont want to kill him/her. again i am very new. the shark also likes to stay near the right side of the tank, right on the glass. does anyone know why?

Welcome to AA!

Silver Tipped Sharks are brackish fish that require a SG between 1.005 and 1.025. They also grow too large for most home aquaria. In their 10-15 year life span they can grow to 20 inches or more... really a 75 gallon tank would be about the smallest tank, and a lot of folks would say even that is not large enough for this commonly sold (but shouldn't be) fish.

What would the best option to do. I have other fish in the tank. Will the shark die with out salt? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394406347.002461.jpg

I get this kind of salt (picture below) and just sprinkle a tad in every water change I do. It's healthy for all fish. It makes their colour more vibrant. What do they say? A table spoon for every gallon? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394409024.797776.jpg

Okay thanks I will be picking some up tomorrow at my local pet store

This is not the type of salt required by these fish. They need saltwater aquarium salt mix. The fish will do ok for awhile in straight FW, but as they grow older, they require a brackish environment up to a SW environment to thrive.

My lfs said that this salt would be fine for any type of fish, except salt water.

No it's not it doesn't add "salt" into the water. It's to heal injuries. That would not be suitable

This salt is fine for this persons fish.

If it is the fish they posted a pic of yes. But they're saying they have a Colombian shark which is a brackish fish and that salt is not ok for it. They need to give it it's own tank in brackish water using a marine grade salt mix. The sg needs to be 1.005-1.008 as melosu stated

You are incorrect uelissa. This fish requires brackish water (a mild form of SW). It is not fine.

I'll add that listening to the advice given at many Local Fish Stores is generally not a good idea. It is after all, how the OP ended up in this current situation, with a fish not suited for most home aquaria that requires brackish conditions to thrive.

Last edited:
So I should buy a new tank for my shark ?

If you can afford and have the room for at least a 75 gallon tank, and you want to keep a brackish tank, then yes (preferably 125+). If not, you should return the fish to the store, would be my advice.

Unfortunately, this happens often with this particular species. It is sold as a small FW fish, when the reality is that is not the case.

I will try and get money for a new tank. Thanks again for helping. Now what salt should I get

Any marine salt mix will work. You'll also need a refractometer or hydrometer to get the salt right.

Besides the standard stuff... a method filtration, a couple of heaters, a light, a hood (these fish can also be jumpers).

Back
Top Bottom