I have a fungus outbreak and I don't know how to stop it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joebro3333

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have never had any problem like this in any of my tanks since I started this hobby! I have a fungus outbreak and I don't know how to stop it. I have lost about 8 fish within 4 days. I need help please :(

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Fungus outbreak.

I need help to stop this sooner rather than later. I have lost 8 fish within 4 days :( I don't know what to do. 50gallon tank. With mopani wood with Java moss. It's a fungus outbreak that's also causing cloud eye in one fish and scales to fan out! :(

Hi joebro3333:

What are the symptoms that lead you to identify it as a fungus? What kind of fish do you have? Have you checked your water parameters recently?

Unfortunately it sounds like you're going to have to treat your whole tank rather than isolating a fish or two in a hospital tank. There are some mild treatments available, such as the API products MelaFix and PimaFix, that you can try first, although it sounds as though your outbreak is already pretty advanced. There are also more aggressive broad spectrum antifungals available like API Funguscure and Kordon Rid Fungus or Methylene Blue. The tougher medicines will likely harm your plants and affect your biofiltration, but you may have no option at this stage.

-Yorg

I have never had any problem like this in any of my tanks since I started this hobby! I have a fungus outbreak and I don't know how to stop it. I have lost about 8 fish within 4 days. I need help please :(

Used api melefix and pimafix! So far so good :)

Melafix and pimafix are 2 medications that shouldn't be labeled as medications. Never expect them to treat a full blown infection, ever. They are meant to be an immune system boost to help prevent infection in case of injury, but to use them as a treatment for a full blown infection would be akin to eating an orange as a cure for pneumonia.

That's encouraging, joebro3333. It would be great if you didn't have to use one of the more powerful treatments, since they have a greater impact on the tank as a whole. You might want to be prepared, though, to move to a stronger treatment if necessary.

What changes did you notice that lead you to believe things are improving?

-Yorg

Matt - I read the article and I am still not sure what I should do - sorry joebro for hijacking your thread! I thought I had fungus on my one Mollie, treated the tank with fungus cure and things looked like they were getting better. did the water change and added the charcoal to filter it all back out. But now it is back on the same fish in the same spot. Is it possible that I just need to treat it again? this is a new fish and I was thinking it would be easy to clear up. I am pretty sure it is NOT columnaris. should I start my own thread?

You need to combine an antibiotic with an anti fungal (mould)
Heather, if its just mould, the best thing to do is take the fish out and put it in a hospital tank with methylene blue and turn up the temp to 80ish and keep it in there for at least a few days til the mold is dead without stressing the fish too much.

I'm having this issue too.

I just got my tank cycled. I had to order my fish online because nothing local had what I wanted. I wait a week, keeping my tank perfect. The night before they showed up, I did a 90% wc, tested, everything fine.

Fish show up and I acclimate them. I even took my time, spent over an hour with one drip line and the other adding tank water. My rainbow fish were fine (the non drip line ones). They were prefectly healthy and went right to exploring the tank. But when I went to add the diamond tetras, 2 were dead, one even looked as if his lips were eaten away. I didn't notice this fact until they were already in the tank. The next morning, another was dead and one had what looked like a small lump of cotton on his head.

Well, I'm new to fish. I figured I inadvertently killed the other three, but now, I'm pretty dang sure that store sent me diseased fish and the stress of shipping killed them. I went to isolate them yesterday after research and noticed that the rainbows now have that small white crap on their mouths. The tetras won't eat, but the rainbows have been little pigs :(. They still are pigs, but I'm very worried now. I see no point in isolation at this point. And as usual hindsight is a big ole bitty.

I had some melafix so I used that yesterday, and I know it's not real medication and just tea tree oil really. (Which btw, tea tree oil has been used for centuries as an anti fungal and antiseptic). The tetras seem a bit better this morning. But in a panic, I ordered some API fungus stuff, some Maracyn 1 and 2, some kanaplex, and some furan 2. I've read that a combination of Maracyn 1 and 2, or a combination of furan and kanaplex works very well for columnaris. I paid overnight shipping so I'd have a plan of attack today and....... stupid weather delay. Nothing but the API fungus cure will show up today.

And it turns your water green. :(

What do I do? I have live plants and I'm afraid that going all out war on this will kill them and they are doing so well. I don't want my fish to die. I feel horrid about the three that have. Should I use what I have until the rest shows up tomorrow and just deal with the green water? I feel like the diamond tetras are a lost cause, but I think I can save the rainbows. Since columnaris is a bacteria issue, will the fungus cure even do anything???

Sorry for hijacking the thread too...... But I'm really not sure how to deal with this. So far, everything is still alive. Provided that's the case tomorrow, which would be better? The maracyn attack or the furan/kanaplex one? Should I just dose with melafix again today after a water change and wait for the antibiotics?

I'm so frustrated and angry that if they all die, I think I'll just grow plants. :banghead:

The fish store might not have even sent you diseased fish tbh. There is a highly virulent strain of columnaris that has the ability to wipe a tank within a day. It could be that the stress from shipping weakened their immune system enough for it to infect them.

Well the diamond tetras are gone.

Mebbid - I blamed myself to start with, but in retrospect, those fish were already diseased before I even put them in the tank as the white stuff was already on one and two were dead to start with. I blame myself for not paying that much attention and putting them in the tank. My QT tank wasn't quite cycled yet, but hey, expensive lesson learned.

There was nothing in my tank but plants and driftwood, no signs of fungus or anything until I put in the fish. The water was crystal clear and there wasn't even that stuff you sometimes see on driftwood. I'm mad at the fish place, but I also know the shipping stress probably made it worse. If this was the really bad strain, all my fish would be dead at this point right? It's been a week since I got them and three died within the first 24 hrs, all showing signs of the disease. That leaves me to believe they were shipped that way as the rainbows didn't show any symptoms at all until Tuesday and still haven't really gotten any worse. The place I bought them from won't respond to my emails either, which makes me even more suspicious. I wasn't even asking for money back, I just wanted them to be aware of the issue.

My rainbows are acting perfectly fine and other than an almost microscopic white tuft on their mouth, there are no other symptoms. I did an 80% water change last night, scrubbed down my driftwood and the tank walls, and turned the heater down a bit. Since I had the fungus cure on hand went ahead and used that. I now have a lovely lime green tank, which actually looks really neat if it didn't make me so sad.

The weather up north has delayed shipping again, so I won't have the furan or the kanaplex till tomorrow. So I'm desperately hoping the Fungus Cure will work or at least slow it down until I can treat with the other.

My fungus is gone I used pimafix till I saw no more spots on fish I was worried I would lose another long fined red minor Tera. Then I treated two days after I noticed it was clearing up to be sure. Then did 50% water change like it said in bottle. No deaths since I stopped Pimafix dosing and water change. Actually added some white clouds, and some baby tetras, no signs everything is going great. Also added an Amazon sword, slowly adding more and more plants.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424455450.861757.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424455496.384695.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424455520.151468.jpg

That's wonderful, joebro3333. I'm really glad that the milder treatment worked and you didn't have to move up to the more powerful ones.

-Yorg

My fungus is gone I used pimafix till I saw no more spots on fish I was worried I would lose another long fined red minor Tera. Then I treated two days after I noticed it was clearing up to be sure. Then did 50% water change like it said in bottle. No deaths since I stopped Pimafix dosing and water change. Actually added some white clouds, and some baby tetras, no signs everything is going great. Also added an Amazon sword, slowly adding more and more plants.View attachment 264872View attachment 264873View attachment 264874

It's back again! ? what stronger medication can I use?

All at once? Separately? Best option what do I do with water changes? I need details on each before I buy? Please help me.

Back
Top Bottom