I have more light and plant questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samdaman

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm already running one low light planted tank and I have fell in love with plants so I thought I would do another one this time it's going to be very high tech. My question is I want the t5 ho light but it is labeled as a marine light does that mean it can't be used on a freshwater aquarium?

I was also thinking of plant and thought of wisteria and ludwigia over the back then Cuba or hairgrass carpets and a lot of mosses attached to wood and rocks. Would they all work together. 29 freshwater tank.

Please help anything is appreciated

Can't help you with the plant questions, but the marine light is not a good idea for freshwater. I believe it may result in bad algea problems.

I got a good deal on a quad T5HO light that had saltwater bulbs. I got it cheap enough that I just got some bulbs for fresh water. 3 x 6000k and 1 flora max 5000k. They were about $13 each. Point is all the T5HO bulbs of the same length will work in your fixture. OS.

so it is still unanswered are these plants compatible and so I don't do the saltwater bulbs or could I get away with it

Ok thAnk you Scotty horse I have kept incomparable plants before unknowingly

Lighting is what determines what plants will grow and if proper plants for the light a tank has aren't used then you have problems. Plants themselves aren't incompatible as Scotty said. Since you are wanting to go high light all plants will work in the tank. But something you need to think about is when using high light you also need to think about running CO2 or high dosing liquid carbon along with using dry ferts which will supply all the macro and micro nutrients plants need.

You might also want to look into Led fixtures for planted tanks. I use Build My Led fixtures that are made for use with planted tanks. They cost more up front but you don't have the cost of yearly bulb replacements.

Back
Top Bottom