I have no idea what each thing does or how to maintain it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newtofishy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got this setup from my friend. I have no idea what each thing does or how to maintain it please help me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 109
well it looks like a 55 gallon so you will need to purchase a gravel vacuum and some prime dechlorinater . make sure u have filter pads . it probably needs cleaned .and a good water change to start off with. im not sure how good he took care of it so just a few sugestions to get u started.

Thank you for your reply. I now have changed the water and I noticed my filter is a foam on top a cover and little plastic ball like things underneath. I just want an automatic filter that does cleaning for you or I will resort to buying more algae eating fish.

No matter what filter you buy you will always be stuck with water changes. Plecos and Corydoras can help but overall you will still need to be doing water changes. Weekly to biweekly.

Here is a basic list of things you are going to want to buy:

Seachem Prime (7-15 dollars approximately - trust me when I say to get the biggest bottle. Huge money saver)
API freshwater master test kit (20-30 dollars - essential for keeping your fish alive)
Food - wide variety. From normal flakes, bloodworms, etc.
Gravel vacuum - good ones get up to 30 dollars. But an absolute must especially with goldfish and koi as they are MESSY MESSY MESSY!
A net - kinda obvious on this one. Prices vary depending on store and size of net

Make sure you want to devote yourself to this aquarium. I always love when someone joins the hobby, but it is a lot of money and a lot of work and A LOT of responsibility overall.

do you have the dimensions of the tank? the glass looks thicker than a 55, maybe a 75. i would suggest getting rid of all those fish and starting from scratch. those fish will grow over 12 inches EACH and will require a much bigger tank. they will also make it much harder for you to maintain, with how much waste they produce. there are TONS of options that you can go with for that tank.

Wow that's a lot of stuff, well I have now bought a prime and a gravel vacuum tube. I noticed the aquarium also came with what looks to be a powered filter in the drawer of the table. I don't even know if its a filter or powered vacuum. I have also got a API test kit and several nets. I currently have flakes only for food. Also you can't see in the picture but I have a black fish that never swims a lot, it's always sticking to the gravel. I'm so new to this could someone tell me what it is?

do you have the dimensions of the tank? the glass looks thicker than a 55, maybe a 75. i would suggest getting rid of all those fish and starting from scratch. those fish will grow over 12 inches EACH and will require a much bigger tank. they will also make it much harder for you to maintain, with how much waste they produce. there are TONS of options that you can go with for that tank.

I believe its a 55 gallon tank, but the glass is thick, bit more than an inch. I don't have the option of getting rid of the fish. In fact I want to buy more beautiful, colorful fish. I agree though these fish are getting quite big, but it's not a problem yet.

Also you can't see in the picture but I have a black fish that never swims a lot, it's always sticking to the gravel. I'm so new to this could someone tell me what it is?

You will need to post a picture.

And it's great that you are so willing to buy all of this stuff in order to make your fish happy! They will definitely return the favor for you!

For a varied diet you can feed them shelled peas up to twice a week too :)
Just literally peel the shell and crush them in your fingers and drop them in. Might take a little while for them to recognize it as food.
Remove any uneaten pieces after 24 hours.

Thanks for the tips, I love my fish and strangely they know when I'm going to feed them as they swim up when I open the glass. ;)! I will post a pic of that black fish as soon as he comes out from hiding all the time in the rocks. I figured out I have sump filter system with sponges and rubber ball like things with an under gravel filter system. Sump works but under gravel system doesn't produce bubbles in the tube likes its suppose to. ^ wow I'm amazed how much I learned in the short 3 days I've owned my aquarium.

Yeah fish have so much more to them then just their self.

It's definitely a huge learning experience owning them.

Keep an open mind and the knowledge will flood from this forum. I joined this forum almost a year ago and had a 10g tank for about 4 months prior to that. In that time I have learned enough about freshwater to maintain a 125g mainly SA cichlid/community tank, a 37g Figure 8 puffer tank, a 40g saltwater FOWLR that's now having corals added and a 6g yellow mantis shrimp tank. I knew NOTHING before I joined and though I've had a few stumbles along the way, the people here are always ready to point me in the right direction. I'm still learning more everyday and wish you the best of luck with your new finned friends.

I have a problem. The filters are doing a poor job. I have 2 under the gravel filters and a sump filter as seen in the pics below. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 48
How are the filters doing a poor job? Is the water cloudy? Or are your parameters off? Either way, I suggest ditching the under gravel filters and get a couple hang on back filters or a canister. Probably a good idea to clean out the plastic bio balls with Tank water or treated tap water if you haven't already.

Sorry I haven't been active in a while guys, was away on vacation and just got back, I had my brother in law look after the fish while I was gone and I'm horrified to find out how dirty my tank is, look at the pictures below and please give me any advice.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 62
Back
Top Bottom