I Have Puffs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
Although we are very much still in a period of transition with the fishroom and I have no business bringing home more fish, I couldn't resist these avocado puffers (Auroglobius modestus). We're feeding them pond snails and frozen mysis, and will soon try fresh seafood. I named them Thing 1 and Thing 2. :D

I have them in a 75 gallon in the fishroom for now, but will probably bring them into the house when I have some room for a 40 long. This is supposed to be a really nippy species, but the person who had them before had been keeping them together so I decided to try both. I have plenty of tanks to separate if I need to.

img_2647787_0_d978f9831d9050f4165512f2422c01c8.jpg

img_2647787_1_6ef40b1918f4f9f5e6f88d631276a22b.jpg

img_2647787_2_4b5931508e77a0246813e2f82f4ddc9d.jpg

img_2647787_3_8b476bb891ed5dea59dba596abcffc5f.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130910_150402.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130910_150402.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 159
  • ForumRunner_20130910_150421.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130910_150421.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 259
severum mama, do you know if puffers would go into a community tank or do they need to be kept seperate?

Puffers aren't suitable for a community tank. Sadly, not even dwarf puffers.

Amazon puffers could work in a community tank with short finned fast fish

Have you kept Amazon puffers? I haven't, but I've researched this species, and if we're talking Google here there are plenty of sources that would disagree with this statement. I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but there's something to be said for prefacing a statement like this with "my research says.." or "I've heard..." rather than stating it as though you're a first hand source of information.

I could be wrong but I think tropical fish hobbyist had an article back saying amazon puffers are one of the more peaceful species. My Lfs also has an amazon puffer in a 50 gallon tank with some harlequin rasboras

One of the "more peaceful species" of puffers does not necessarily mean "community fish".

As I understand it, amazon puffers are best kept in groups, in species tanks. I'm sure if you had a huge tank, you could keep them in a community, but most people don't, thus it's a moot point for most aquarists.

I have 3 saps in a community tank and they are just fine. They are with 5 tiger barbs, German blue ram, and a tiger botia. Their was some initial fin nipping to establish the pecking order but nothing ever since. They get plenty of food, even with the other fish. I did plenty of research befor doing it and came up with mixed results. I see it like this fish are like humans in the sense that one can be calm and some can be mean and aggressive. I believe that saps are a calms species when put up against other puffers, however some saps may be aggressive. I would not put them with anything that has long flowing fins but they seem to be just fine in my tank.

I'm glad that has been working for you, and curious as to how long they have all been in the tank together.

Are you sure those puffers belong in freshwater? I have heard many MANY people say brackish with the exception of pea puffers in freshwater. Anyone care to discuss?

Back
Top Bottom