I have Two Black ghost knife & some more help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SayonROY

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yes i know only one should be kept in one tank. I have two bgk 4.5" each & 5 tetra(black stripes), 1 rainbow(4.5") & 2 bela shark(3" & 4") in a 30"/15"/15" tank. I have this tank for 7 years when i was 16years old. Basically i didn't know a thing. So many fishes died in this past years. I got this fishes from LFS 1 month ago, i started checking google, forums 1 week ago. Before that i had really no idea about how to care properly. & i can get myself new tank after 1 year, after finishing college. Please don't suggest to give some fish to LFS, as i am sure noone in my locality can provide better care. & yes some can provide bigger tank but it's surely crowded. As there is not too much fish lover, & they only follow what LFS told. The fishes i kept is few in the eyes of others, you can guess the scenario here. They don't have idea that a fish can live some years. [emoji17]
But i love my fishes & i don't want them die.
It may be challenging to you experts, but how can i save my fishes in this tank for at least 10-12 months. What live plants should i add? Should i feed them freeze dried tubifex or flakes?
My favorite BGKs & others seems happy for now.
Please don't comment if you can't take this challenge.
& i can't buy bigger tank for next 10 to 12 months. Trust me i love my fishes. [emoji17]
Everybody has some real life problems.

Buyer should always beware and air on the side of caution before buying what one thinks to be a nice looking fish.
You may keep the fish in the tank but without a doubt the will be become stunted in growth & their expected lifespan will be drastically reduced.It would be irresponsible to keep them in such a small tank compared to what is recommended for them.
Move all your things & yourself into a closet & see if you can make it in there comfortably for the next 10-12months...
Do you know anyone with a large tank that can help you out?
If not please do the right thing and return to where you purchased them or give them to someone who can adequately care for them.

I just got a bgk 2 months ago and I love mine too I know how you feel but I have a 90 gallon and a overflow sump but I would up the water changes and feed frozen food but feed different types such as blood worms brine shrimp mysis shrimp because idk about you but I wouldn't want to eat the same thing everyday good luck man.

Buyer should always beware and air on the side of caution before buying what one thinks to be a nice looking fish.
You may keep the fish in the tank but without a doubt the will be become stunted in growth & their expected lifespan will be drastically reduced.It would be irresponsible to keep them in such a small tank compared to what is recommended for them.
Move all your things & yourself into a closet & see if you can make it in there comfortably for the next 10-12months...
Do you know anyone with a large tank that can help you out?
If not please do the right thing and return to where you purchased them or give them to someone who can adequately care for them.
First of all, you should understand the "WORDS" i wrote.
& when you go to buy something from a shop do you always check google to read about it? Or simply you ask the shopkeeper?
Please don't reply to my thread.

Not everyone born in a place where pretty much everything available..or nor everyone is rich to make everything available.
But you know what, one thing is common to everyone...which is Wish.

IF you researched the fish before you bought why did you buy ?

When you go to buy something from a shop do you always check google to read about it? Or simply you ask the shopkeeper?

I always search. Always. I had to take back a rainbow shark, and that was really upsetting. It's not going to happen again.

Two things:
1. How big is this tank? You have several huge fish.
2. What's the challenge?

All plants are good. Freeze dried foods have to be soaked before feeding or they can cause bloat. I prefer frozen, although your fish will prefer live.

IF you researched the fish before you bought why did you buy ?
Can you please read my thread before asking ? I said i started checking forums, google's 1 week ago bro. & my fishes are 1 month old!

I apologize as i miread your reply.
Shops are there to sell the fish & many employ people with little or no experience to push their product out the door. It's that very reason that I don't rely on the shopkeeper for viable info on stock,I always research before I even consider buying.

I always search. Always. I had to take back a rainbow shark, and that was really upsetting. It's not going to happen again.

Two things:
1. How big is this tank? You have several huge fish.
2. What's the challenge?

All plants are good. Freeze dried foods have to be soaked before feeding or they can cause bloat. I prefer frozen, although your fish will prefer live.
Yes but I didn't as I trusted shopkeeper. & my home is in india, & in a town where people go for dogs, birds, & for them aquarium is like a decoration. But i love them just like my neighbor loves his dog. That's why i started checking google, forums, scientific theory etc. When returned home after 6 months i bought those fishes. I am an engineering student, last year.
My tank size 30" length, 15" height, 15" inch width. & i said the size of my fishes atm. Challenge is i want to keep them alive for 10-12 months before going for new tank. & how can i do that? Kindly Suggest plants, water change rate, feeding & other things. As i won't ever trust LFS.

Also make the hobby work for you ,don't work for the hobby.

& i read some scientific papers about growth rate of bgk, bela... & I know i can manage, but i need expert suggestions.

3-25% wc's a week,routinely clean filtration(every 2-3weeks) using tank water from wc(water change).
Feed frozen & or live foods high in nutritional value whenever you can.

Ah. I had skipped the inches bit because juvenile sizes aren't really what I'm thinking about.

The rainbow shark I mentioned was maybe three inches long when it bit a hole in a guppy. My tank is about the same volume, but 30" x 12" x 18."

So your tetras are currently food. Your sharks will eat them. Aggression is going to be your main hurdle in keeping these fish from dying in the next few months.

I like to use http://www.aqadvisor.com/ as a starting point. In terms of how often and how much water to change, it's helpful.

I'm not up for the challenge. I'm bowing out.

3-25% wc's a week,routinely clean filtration(every 2-3weeks) using tank water from wc(water change).
Feed frozen & or live foods high in nutritional value whenever you can.
Ok nice. About giving food, i feed 2times a day, should i give 3-4 times a day?
Sadly in my town noone keeps live foods nowadays. Till last year i bought live bloodworms sometimes from lfs. But idk why, nowadays they don't keep. Maybe because of very hot summer.
My only option is freeze dried workms except flakes.

Ah. I had skipped the inches bit because juvenile sizes aren't really what I'm thinking about.

The rainbow shark I mentioned was maybe three inches long when it bit a hole in a guppy. My tank is about the same volume, but 30" x 12" x 18."

So your tetras are currently food. Your sharks will eat them. Aggression is going to be your main hurdle in keeping these fish from dying in the next few months.

I like to use http://www.aqadvisor.com/ as a starting point. In terms of how often and how much water to change, it's helpful.

I'm not up for the challenge. I'm bowing out.
Yeah i know it may happen within next 2-3 months, I literally gave up on tetras that's why. [emoji29]
Though till now they all seems friendly. & i will try to never give them chance to empty stomach & go for my tetras.
I love my 2 bgks most. They are very playfull after lights off, like dancing together [emoji1].

Back
Top Bottom