I just got some angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbhariz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently bought a couple of angle fish I bought 3 because thats what I read online that they would do better in threes or odd numbers anyways I was just wondering if you guys could give me some advice for them because I heard that they can succumb to diseases easily and I was just wondering how do you prevent this and any general tips for angelfish would be much appreciated

1) Keep their water clean

2) Feed them a verity of foods

3) Keep their water clean

4) Make sure they're in a tank large enough to house them full grown

5) Keep their water clean

6) Remove/rehome the aggressor

I have four beautiful angels and have had almost no problems health wise with them(brief infection of camallanus worm). I change their water once a week. I feed them homemade food plus store bought.

Well my tank is about 75 not sure if that's big enough and Yeah I did a 20% water change just this morning and I've gotten into a habit of doing that once a week maybe even twice a week if it is nessicary I feed the good quality flake food brine shrimp and freeze dry blood worms and occasionally a cucumber or lettuce or peas because I have other fish aswell but when they do get a disease or a parasite what do you recomend to cure it because they can get a lot of varying diseases since they are fragile fish

They really aren't as fragile as people think. Mine have been through one of the worst parasite infections in the hobby and spawned during the treatment!

Doing regular water changes is a good way to keep them healthy, sounds like you're ready for that.

You've got the right idea about foods, another good sign.

75 gallons is great for 3, so far you're doing awesome.

Quarantine any new additions

As for diseases, honestly you'd have to wait and diagnose what they have before you can treat it. However, one piece of advice, use any treatment at half dosage for a longer period of time. Most treatments can be harsher on fish than what hobbyists realize and some can kill off the beneficial bacteria.

Well that's really awesome to hear I guess I am doing pretty good thanks for the reassurance and help :)

Mine loves a piece of an earthworm every now and then. He will eat it right from my fingers. Just don't take them from your yard or the street where there can be gas, fertilizer, pesticide ect.

Just thought I'd mention that lol :)

@librarygirl Yeah its already been cycled for like 5 weeks and I put in the fish about a week and a half ago and @George9 thanks for that, where do you get your earth worms from

@librarygirl Yeah its already been cycled for like 5 weeks and I put in the fish about a week and a half ago and @George9 thanks for that, where do you get your earth worms from
I just bought some from a bait shop, or Wal Mart sells them I think

I will tonight probably I have the biggest glare on my tank through out the day (its not a lot of sunlight but its in the right position were it would cause such an enourmous glare) plus my phones camera sucks so ill have to borrow my dads for better quality pictures

I have had two anglefish in my tank now for a while and they seem happy with just two of them, they are both girls and they just swim around together and sleep together. I love anglefish and mine don't seem to get sick at all if anything their fins split every now and then but that is easy to cure

Here are my two angle girls

Attachments

• image-3838444492.jpg
    image-3838444492.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 75
  • image-1294655130.jpg
    image-1294655130.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 86
Until reading this I had no idea they were considered 'fragile'? Mine had been through hell and back with me. One of my first fish. Altho he was not tiny when I got him. He now is about 3 in, not including his fins. Mine LOVE frozen blood worms. when he is sleeping, he floats around on his side. Scared me more then once thinking he was dead. Haha!
Here if my angel baby! These were taken in April, so he's a little bigger now!

ForumRunner_20120708_114751.jpg

ForumRunner_20120708_114600.jpg

aaronjohn20 said:
How do you know that your angels are female?

I wondered the same thing. With mine I just call it a him but really.. I have no clue lol

Same thing with my goldfish, I did a bit of research and "he" is probably a "she" but I don't think it cares. :p

Sexing angelfish is extremely difficult. I have 12 and can't tell any apart.

Back
Top Bottom