I just lost my beautiful male German Ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patryuji

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ARRGHHH....I knew loaches were a bit on the rough side. Especially when you have a "dominant" one develop. My dominant yo-yo loach has been getting more and more out of hand lately (not territorial like the other aggressive loaches have been but just chasing things in the tank more since I had to raise the heat to treat for Ich). It never even really "bit" any other fish that I had noticed (as the other loaches I've had would leave fin damage all the time but this guy seemed to only chase the fish (mainly other yo-yos) and would even get bit by the more aggressive loaches on occassion.

Basically I was re-arranging my tank since I am on the last day of ich treatment. I threw a "trap" in the tank. Went to do some quick grocery shopping (1 hour total trip time). Come back to see my ram and the "alpha" yo-yo loach in the trap together except the ram had both eyes missing and was obviously dead. Not only was the ram double the cost of the yo-yo, it had more personality, was more colorful, and was just starting to spawn with the female ram.

If that yo-yo were a much bigger fish I'd fry that sucker up for dinner tonight I'm so mad...I'm going to have to toss my extra filter and heater in my 5 gallon bucket and toss the yo-yo in their while I contemplate its fate. I'll have to see how the other fish behave with out the "king" in place to control them and also see if they calm down once the temps are back to the standard 79-80 degrees I normally keep it at.

[note- I mean rearranging the inhabitants...I was going to move all the cories into my 10gallon and all the loaches into the main tank to allow the cories to be unpestered as they roam the bottom of the 10gallon...the main tank inhabitants keep them to a small corner]

Keep in mind that this is not the yo-yo loach's fault. It was an accident that they got in there together, and it was only acting as its character dictated in such a situation. It's a good reason not to use "traps" to catch fish unless you are monitoring the tank at that time.

That said, sorry for your loss. It's unfortunate when we lose our favorite fish.

I'm sorry, patryuji. :cry: The poor ram...what a thing to come home to. I hope you get the situation with the loach worked out soon.

Yeah, I know it was more my negligence. I am also partially blaming the elevated temps as I have trapped before and seen the same yo-yo with the same ram in the trap at the same time with no issues.

Like I said though....I'll have to see how these fish behave once the temps are back to normal.

No reason to be mad at the Loach, since the aggression only started when you raised the temps and likely made the fish unfomfortable. Being trapped can be extremely stressful to a fish, and make a territorial fish go ballistic. Poor Ram, too bad no one was around to save it :(

Back
Top Bottom