I just wanna see if....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
gboy66 said:
who wouldnt want more color? It one thing is you like natives, its unique. But the average joe wants activity and color right?

Oh totally. Its just that some of the most colorful fw fish, which are considered the prettiest, can compare to the looks of cheaper saltwater fish. Thats why i used the example of the discus to the chalk. Theres no way sw fish will ever be cheap though..;)

+100000000000000

paytertot said:
How are there more things to do in a sw tank? You've got fish and then You can have stuff growin on rocks, or stuff growin on rocks. Lol

In sw you have corals, fish, anemones, coralline algae..blah blah i can go on and on. Fw have what? Plants and fish...

MrPillow said:
I'm pretty sure the only freshwater fish that look like trout and catfish are trout and catfish.

Every other fish have the same color same design. All you see are scales and stuff. Most colorful fish I've seen in fw is a guppy lol.

Plants, fish, algae, inverts, crustaceans, mollusks, reptiles, etc. The list goes on.

Again. Ignorance of options does not eliminate their viability.

Jake337 said:
In sw you have corals, fish, anemones, coralline algae..blah blah i can go on and on.
Yea. Fish and stuff growin on rocks. Lol
Idk how you can say that about fw not having bright colors or designs. Like o said, Google discus.

paytertot said:
Idk how you can say that about fw not having bright colors or designs. Like o said, Google discus.

Google discussion?!

paytertot said:

Thats one fw fish that is colorful. Besides the guppy.

A discus fish will only compare to a saltwater $4.99 damsel.

Jake337 said:
A discus fish will only compare to a saltwater $4.99 damsel.

I would have to beg to differ on that and I'm on the SW side. Discus are the few FW fish that in pure color and pattern can rival many SW fish but there is nothing like the fluorescent glow of most colorful SW fish.

How much of that effect is from the fish themselves, and how much can be attributed to the lighting types/spectrum prevalent in saltwater tank?

Food for thought.

MrPillow said:
How much of that effect is from the fish themselves, and how much can be attributed to the lighting types/spectrum prevalent in saltwater tank?

Food for thought.

No I totally get what your saying but they have a different shimmer even if you compare my Africans under the same lighting it just isn't the same

Mrc8858 said:
No I totally get what your saying but they have a different shimmer even if you compare my Africans under the same lighting it just isn't the same

I have to agree with the different shimmer in sw fish. Its hard to describe, almost if the fish was painted

George9 said:
I have to agree with the different shimmer in sw fish. Its hard to describe, almost if the fish was painted

Yes its something you have to see to understand... It's almost like its blurry around the edges of the fish its so bright lol

Very interesting read. I remember when the studies first started arising using mitochondrial DNA to re-assign classifications within raptor taxonomy (and birds in general), it is always fascinating to see the information the genome contains. Nothing like some genetic evidence to put rash guesstimations to bed :)

Food for thought.

This is an excellent point. I've been thinking about how we've been comparing SW to FW and delving further into my own preferences.

I think lighting has a lot to do with my preference for FW. I haven't seen too wide a range with lighting and coral and such with SW tanks I've seen. It's almost like the lighting makes them all look similar, although certainly the stock is wide-ranging.

That said, I rarely see two FW tanks that look alike and I definitely appreciate the more natural approach to lighting used in FW. So I guess that means that my personal preference is based on overall tank appearance, not stock.

Jake337 said:
Actually, I've had fw for 3 years before moving onto sw and the hobby wasn't even close to being as exciting as sw. I feel like all fw fish look like trouts and catfish...Ect....I've never seen any fw fish that have bright colors or designs.

Please go google show quality guppies

Back
Top Bottom