I may have a problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jspires688

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was cleaning my glass with my mag float and my glass thermometer got stuck to it and hit the glass and broke and all of the little metal balls in the bottom fell in my sand what should I do

Change as much water as possible. Clean all the metal balls out. Put in carbon and copper/heavy metal remover. You may want to do another 50% water change in 3 days or so. Unplug thermometer before putting hands in tank.

Use the magfloat to get the metal balls out. Clean up as much glass as possible

Change as much water as possible. Clean all the metal balls out. Put in carbon and copper/heavy metal remover. You may want to do another 50% water change in 3 days or so. Unplug thermometer before putting hands in tank.

I think it is just a thermometer, not a heater. Probably nothing to unplug. I used to leave mine float in the top, but had a snail grab on to it, and use its weight to drag the thermometer down to the bottom. Of course right onto a piece of LR, and broke a piece off. I didn't lose all the balls, just broke a piece of glass enough to get water in there so it wouldn't float anymore. I just took the thermometer out, scolded the snail and that was that.

I think it is just a thermometer, not a heater. Probably nothing to unplug. I used to leave mine float in the top, but had a snail grab on to it, and use its weight to drag the thermometer down to the bottom. Of course right onto a piece of LR, and broke a piece off. I didn't lose all the balls, just broke a piece of glass enough to get water in there so it wouldn't float anymore. I just took the thermometer out, scolded the snail and that was that.

Do snails respond well to scolding? lol. I'd figure out what kind of metal the balls are made out of before I worried too much, but get them out anyways.

try and get everything out and run some heavy metal removers. i don't think there is to much harmful stuff in the thermometers for that reason as the glass ones are very sensitive and can easil be broken. thats why i usually use a digital. they may not be as accurate but all it is is a little thermal transister so nothing really there to damage

Ok I used the magfloat to remove the balls right after I posted this don't know why it took a few minutes for me to think of that lol couldn't find the glass but it was a pretty small piece so shouldn't hurt I hope

Back
Top Bottom