I need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poseidon82

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a 75 gallon tank stocked with 12 medium size fancy goldfish. I want to take the goldfish to my lfs and turn it into a South American cichlid tank. Would the cichlids be ok in the existing water or do I need to start all over.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm totally new her and only been in the hobby for about 10 month (so please be gentle if I am totally off base here). But I believe most fish stores have central filtering systems, that filters and exchanges the water for all their tanks. So based on THAT - I would assume the same water/filter could be used for the new fish once the old were removed (I assume this would be a rather quick change so your BB won't die off).

This is just logical in my mind - but like I said, I'm still a rookie. Hope I'm not steering you in the wrong direction.

(EDIT: I just noticed you said you BOUGHT the tank with the fish already in it... So I guess it would also depend on how well you trusted the previous tank owner to maintain a healthy environment. I obtained some filters, substrate and a decoration from someone I didn't know for use in my new 75 - that will be up and running soon - but I cleaned the crap out of that stuff because I didn't know what kind of a tank it came out of)

Are you asking if you need to drain the tank and start over with new water before adding new fish?
Do you happen to have a test kit so you can know your water parameters. There isn't an issue with new fish touching the same water a different fish has been in, but you do need to make sure the parameters are good before adding new fish. You should check the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate for example. Most fish stores will do this for free.

I agree with absoluteangel04 that you could test but I guess my question would be why wouldn't to give the new fish clean water? Just seems easier and safer.

You will need a heater if you don't have one since gold fish are cold water and don't need heat

Well I just wanted to keep the existing BB instead of starting a new cycle. We got it moved over and set up a couple of hours ago. I kept 30 gallons of tank water and topped off with conditioned tap, I did use new substrate and decor I already had. The fish are back in and seem happy with their new home. It will be a while before I trade them in for cichlids and my kids are crazy about these big ol' goldfish. I appreciate the comments thanks guys.

Changing the water won't start the cycle over. Very little of the bacteria is in the water.

I know but the lady I got it from didn't even have any filter in the pump. The pump was just turning the water so I figured what little BB it did have was all in the water. I have two pumps on my 40 gallon tropical tank so I moved one to this new tank for now

It still wouldn't be in the water. It would be attached to various surfaces in the tank. Substrate, the filter itself, decorations, etc

Oh ok I see. Well it's a good thing I had an extra pump in an established tank. should that be enough since I didn't keep any substrate or decor that was in it?

That should be fine for starting. More of the beneficial bacteria will pop up on the walls and new decor as was said. Stock slow, and I strongly suggest testing your water. Like dalto said, most evidence right now seems to suggest that the bacteria involved are not free floating in the water column, so changing the water doesn't get rid of them. You should be changing out some water every week to keep your nitrate levels down.

Back
Top Bottom